WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
natnats

Re: WHSB

Post by natnats »

Thanks Mum of boys. I thought as much as i know the waiting lists etc keep on moving but I started to wonder if I had indeed accepted the offer as the early hours of the morning of March 1 were a bit of a haze. Thanks for letting me know
Wraggh

Post by Wraggh »

As a reply to why WHSB has more out of catchment pupils compared to SHSB.
WHSB is next to WHSG and as a result of the close proximity of the two schools there are more pupils in one area, this makes it easier to run consortium bus services which enables more students from further away to get to the school.
essexdad1

Post by essexdad1 »

Has anyone received any communication in the post rom WHSB ? I understand that all the other grammar schools have sent their intro pack to their student joining them in September 2011.

We still are to receive anything fro them.......
natnats

Post by natnats »

Hi Essexdad

I was about to ask the same thing. I sent them an email, they didnot even respond but when I rang they said everything was sent after the appeals had been heard and another post said documents are sent out after Easter. It is a bit worrying though as the only thing I have to prove my son has a place is the email. I have nothing from the school itself. When you get your bits let me know :D :D :D
essexdad1

Post by essexdad1 »

Thanks natnats.....

The reason I am a bit worried is that we are not from the catchment and would rely on the bus serivice arranged by the consortium. The same bus also goes to two other schools and in case they run out of vacancies on the bus just because we got our forms late, it could be trouble....

I will inform you when the paperwork arrives....
natnats

Post by natnats »

Hey Essex dad

We are in catchment and nothing yet received. I must say although WHSB is a great school their admin is a bit rubbish. When i went up there to get a fresh prospectus in February they didn't have any. In addition the organisation after the 11+ in terms of collecting children ( like we werent tense enough already) was chaotic.

We will just have to continue to wait. :( :(
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Following on from Wraggh's comment, just in case anyone reading this is worried about transport, there are lots of contract and private run buses running to SHSB, and Prittlewell Station is only a ten minute walk away. Boys travel from all over Essex to get to the school and we know of some who travel from London.
Manana

Post by Manana »

I was under the impression that WHSB were obliged to offer a higher number of places for out of catchment boys than SHSB which is why their ooc numbers are higher? Is it something like 50-60/150 for WHSB but only 25/150 for SHSB?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I believe WHSB are obliged to take 47 and SHSB 25. A friend of mine had a son start at WHSB last September and she said they took over a hundred from out of borough. Hopefully this may comfort those whose sons apply to the Southend schools from out of borough.
natnats

Post by natnats »

I heard the same that the majority of children at WHSB last year were out of borough. I think thats a good thing. Everyone is starting from fresh and will be more receptive to form new friendships.

Spoke with the school today............apparently the induction packs will be sent out this week................we shall see :P :P :P