KEGS 2011 Waiting List for 11 Plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chief

Re: KEGS 2011 Waiting List for 11 Plus

Post by chief »

I heard it moved 2 places today :D one went to the first boy on the waiting list and the other went to A "Statement" child. If anyone know of people who are not going to KEGS can they encourage them to reject their places rather quickly and not sit on them
moved

Post by moved »

I don't know of the KEGS list but I do know of a couple of girls who have CCHS places who are still considering their options. This can be a very difficult decision for families with the choice of either a scholarship/bursary at an excellent independent school or a place at an excellent grammar school. Some parents are making appointments to look at the schools again in order to choose.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

I agree with you chief. The 11 plus exam was way back on 20 Nov surely people should have had long enough to make up their minds by now.
Hamburg86

Post by Hamburg86 »

no.5 wrote:Hi Chief

I would be shocked if this was the case. Also once you get your acceptance letter etc from KEGS you have to accept it by the 14th March or you could lose the place. I'm sure the waiting list might move a little after this date. FX.

GL xx
I spoke to KEGS today and they said nobody loses their place unless confirmed in writing that it is not required.
moved

Post by moved »

We didn't confirm our place until June as we didn't know whether we would be living in Chelmsford or Kent!

For those waiting I know of one boy who has changed from KEGS to WHSB as that is where his friends are going.
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

i phoned twice firstly to find out where my son was on the list and then a week later to see if he's moved- the man on the other end advised me not hold my breath because at the most the list moves by half a dozen!
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

its true that some people hold on to both their indie and grammar sch places unfortunately am one of those (i belong to Bexley though). it can be hard to make the choice. :( Am sure there will be movements much later in the year.
good luck with getting the place you want.
Lloyd97

Post by Lloyd97 »

The waiting lists seem unusually slow and I wonder whether any of it could be due to recent developments regarding university applications? To temper the controversy surrounding the tuition fees increase the government have suggested that top universities may have to increase the numer of children they take from state schools, potentially discriminating against those from private schools. Perhaps this has made those who would normally give up their grammar school place in favour of an indie think twice? Just a thought.
guestdad40

Post by guestdad40 »

It's an interesting thought Lloyd97, but I'm not convinced. Recent press reports still reveal that places on the top courses at Uni (medicine/dentistry etc) are still predominantly taken by public-school educated pupils and I just can't see that changing, these schools are so good at preparing their pupils for the most elite subjects. Perhaps by the time our DC are applying for Universities the social engineering & government meddling will have been abandoned anyway :x
I still think the private option is a good choice for many - the facilities, teaching & flexibility of subjects can be outstanding.
I'm sure the waiting list will move soon - presumably your DS is on it? What position, and which school has been allocated?
All the best for you
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

Hi does anyone have any idea on the movement for the waiting list for KEGS?