preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
suffolkmum

preparation

Post by suffolkmum »

i have a daughter in yr5 who will be sitting for the 11+ exam this year for the colchester / chelmsford schools. just wondering how to go about the preparation - do we concentrate on the basics in maths now & do the actual papers closer to the exam. In which month should we actually make her try to attempt the papers. also, when should we start timing her ? any suggestions would be really appreciated.
inmystride

Re: preparation

Post by inmystride »

Hi There - so much depends on your DD. We didn't even entertain the idea of training/practicing until the beginning of year 6. We began by giving him some practice tests downloaded off the web and not timing him. He would complete the paper (with excellent results) but take way WAY too long - like an hour and a half instead of 40 mins. After identifying and helping in area's of VR that he needed help with (not taught in State schools) we started going through exam strategies. This helped enormously. He did a lot of *** Advertising Censored *** papers, and we saved last year's exam papers until the week before the exam, which gave us a pretty good idea of what to expect when the results came in.
All the very best of luck!
moved

Re: preparation

Post by moved »

When tutoring I began with techniques in VR and then short timed sections based on the current technique. Easier English comprehensions that were timed. Short maths papers that were general and a focus on questions that were found difficult.

I liked to begin in January of year 5. I suggest that you use age appropriate Bond for English and maths and multiple choice papers for VR. If you don't want to write your own questions for each technique for VR you can cut the relevant sections from the commercial papers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now