Essex consortium results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rr504

Post by rr504 »

If I remembered rightly, we ticked the box only on SIF and that meant CSSE wouldn't let the school know the exam results. I think the most important letter is the one from LEA telling us whether the child has got the place or not. Will this letter be sent to school? I have expected it to be sent to my home address.

Post by Guest »

rr504 wrote:If I remembered rightly, we ticked the box only on SIF and that meant CSSE wouldn't let the school know the exam results. I think the most important letter is the one from LEA telling us whether the child has got the place or not. Will this letter be sent to school? I have expected it to be sent to my home address.
I ticked the box on SIF. I don't think the LEA send the results to the school but I could be wrong (does anyone know??). If they do, seems a bit pointless ticking the box on the SIF form! Does anyone know, if the LEA do send to the school, when the send it? Is it before they send to us?
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Only the CSSE advise the childs current school, what place they have been offered and this is given to the school on the 1st March. The LEA do not inform the school. The CSSE will only know if the child has been offered a Grammer place or not and if it is a Grammer, which school they have been offered.

Post by Guest »

Essex mum wrote:Only the CSSE advise the childs current school, what place they have been offered and this is given to the school on the 1st March. The LEA do not inform the school. The CSSE will only know if the child has been offered a Grammer place or not and if it is a Grammer, which school they have been offered.
That means they tell the schools a week before they tell us. This year they are sending out the results on Monday 6th March.
rr504

Post by rr504 »

Confusing, isn’t it? Shame so many of us don’t know how the system works.

My understanding WAS:
On 1st March, the LEA sends the offer letter to the parents and maybe the schools so we’ll know if the child has got the place s/he wanted.
On 6th March, the CSSE sends the results to our home addresses only so we’ll know how well the child did in the exam.

I don’t mind the LEA’s letter goes to the school. However Id like to be the first person to see the scores. As unlike GCSE, taking part in 11+ exam is a decision made by the parents (and of course the child) so the result should only be sent to the decision makers. Am I right?

I think maybe in the past some primary schools wanted to know how their pupils did in the 11+. So they required information from CSSE and they got it. Parents might have been unhappy about this and blamed CSSE. Now we got this box to tick so no one except the one ticked the box and put the password can get the information about the child.

Essex Mum, did they send the results to school last year? What happened if a child got low marks? I am sure that the teachers were there to comfort the children but it would be better if the parents were there as well.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Last year the results were not sent to the school and this is why the tick box has been introduced. Before the system changed the schools were informed by the CSSE.

Post by Guest »

Just rang Essex LEA and they confirmed that the offer letters will be sent out on 1st March by 1st class post - thank goodness for that!
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Apparently, the letter sent out on the 6th March from the Consortium, with give your child's position and the cut off point at your first choice of selective grammer school. So, at least one will know if they have any chance of moving up after the "reshuffle". :roll:
Essex Girl

Consortium results

Post by Essex Girl »

That sounds like it used be be before last year when the system changed. It was not even possible, last year, to tell your child's position, such was the complicated way the consortium detailed the results. I had to phone them about something the Monday afte the results had arrived on the Saturday and it took me absolutely ages to get through. When I finally did I said to them "I guess you have been inundated with people who can't understand the results, this morning". They admitted this was true.

I think the change was deliberately administered to cause confusion because of various problems in the system. I truly believe they hoped poeple who just accept their child's lot and not ask too many questions.

I've said it before, and I say it again, there were things going on in the background last year (particularly in the Southend area) and I believe that "special arrangements" were made that the public were not aware of.

It's a bit like what the government does with things like the MMR and toxoplasmosis virus. They think the fall out will be less if they admit nothing.

Anyway, my evening rant over.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi Essex Mum I'm sure many of the 4000 parents have the same concerns. Do you know why Essex is so different from Bucks where they know results so early and are guaranteed a place in a grammar if they pass. Are there more grammars in Bucks, why aren't all admissions procedures and choices of type of education the same all over the UK - is it a postcode lottery? Shall we all move?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now