Should I encourage my ds to do the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mitasol

Re: Should I encourage my ds to do the 11+?

Post by mitasol »

As Yoyo has already said, schools are working towards 2 full levels from KS1 to KS2. The sub levels (where given) should simply be taken as further guidance on the level.
c - just working at the level
b - secure at the level
a - working towards the next level.

Level reporting at the end of KS2 does not include sub-levels, just the level. See the level thresholds for 2010 Sats. http://www.qcda.gov.uk/assessment/3880.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

on the original topic :)...

there is a big difference between hot house coaching and keeping a bright child interested in learning through activities that stretch their thinking skills (rather than moving then vertically up the curriculum too fast).
I'm not sure anyone was advocating formal 11+ coaching from year 2.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

KB

you are right nobody is advocating coaching, but title of this post is "Should I encourage my ds to do the 11+?" and said child is 7 years old. Little misleading perhaps
HD
Nice

Post by Nice »

It's amazing what happens on your query when you don't log on for a while! I'm sorry if the subject of my post has proved controversial, as I stated in my first post this is the first time I've ever used a forum so I've obviously got some learning to do :)

To clarify, rather than meaning should I start my 7 year old preparing for the 11+ what I was actually pondering on was whether GS could be right for my ds (a bright child who has little interest in school work). I was thinking there might be people on here with insights such as "my eldest was always a keen learner and went on to GS, but my 2nd child although, just as clever, was never really interested in school work so we chose to ..." but perhaps I was a little naive...

I posted my query the day the 11+ first came up with my ds teacher, who suggested I should start thinking about it now and also pointed me in the direction on the bonds books which I was surprised to find started from age 5. Having no experience of gs, (there aren't any where I grew up,) i just wanted to gather as much information as i could. Now I've had a little more time to digest the info and particularly after reading the posts on here, I'm a little calmer and realise this is not a descision to make now but rather in a couple of years. Having said that, at the moment, I think there is every possibility I'll still be asking the same question in 2/3 years, as although a lot can happen, my ds has been disinterested in putting pen to paper for the last 7 years and he is likely to remain a bright boy!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

He loves reading and is particularly strong at maths but he is not keen on writing and is not the type of child who'd just do 'school work' for fun.
This is a fairly accurate discription of my DS1 as well. He is currently flourishing at CRGS (year 8 ), but he still writes the minimum he can get away with. The word count function on his computer is put to regular use as he struggles to find the extra 50 words!

I think you can argue that grammar school can be more benifical for the bright but laid back than the super motivated, as the later should do well wherever they are, whereas the former (like my son) need pushing and the peer pressure to achieve that seems stronger in grammar schools.

(edited as strange smiley appeared in middle of text!)
Nice

Post by Nice »

Thanks Minesatea that's very helpful. That's definitely the type of example that will help me make an informed decision when the time comes.

In fact, thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated :D
moved

Post by moved »

DS (DC1) is bright and very lazy. He is fine at KEGS. DD (DC2) is perhaps less bright but a hard worker and she is thriving at CCHS.

If you have a bright child - go for it! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now