Entry into Westcliff for my Y7 son.......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum of boys

Re: Entry into Westcliff for my Y7 son.......

Post by mum of boys »

Hi maymum. You'll probably worry for a while about whether you've done the right thing - it's only natural. But I'm positive that it won't last long - hopefully only until your ds comes home and tells you how much he loves it! I'm sure he will thrive at WHSB just like he has at his comp - he's obviously got the right attitude to succeed. From what I have seen of WHSB so far (my ds is year 7too), we are thrilled. They work them hard, but my ds loves it and has made some good friends. The set up seems very supportive and if they have any problems with the work, they are given the help that they need, and not just allowed to slip through the net. Even the bus journey, which I was really worried about, is the social highlight of his day!

All the best and do let us all know how it goes.
maymum

Re: Entry into Westcliff for my Y7 son.......

Post by maymum »

Mum of boys, thank you for your lovely comments :D
In view of my wobble, I made it my mission today to talk to and get advice from as many people who would listen :lol:
I bumped into, by chance, a mum of a DS who went to our DS primary and attends WHSB in Y8, I explained our situation and she said how wonderful WHSB really is and having known our DS from primary, explained that our DS would indeed excel and enjoy his experiences at WHSB.
I also made an appointment to speak to both Gifted & Talented Teachers to whom our DS has lots of contact. They made a valid and very important point that at the moment in Y7 there is huge gap between our DS and other DC within his Year (our DS's levels are currently at end of KS3 Y9 levels and our DS is given work to reflect this!!) which, as a school, they are managing to cope with BUT within the next few years as our DS progresses, the gap will become huge and not easy to work with due to the many abilities within the Year. So therefore a move to WHSB would be much more beneficial to our DS rather than staying at comp this mainly due to the very focussed bright boys who are like-minded.
I feel much better having heard this and it's clear there are many messages there but most importantly, I guess, it's all about our DS future and giving him the best opportunities to excel and I am clear that the move is not so much a choice as a necessity for his future as he is clearly a very bright boy.
I just might add that, he gets it all from me :lol: :lol: I WISH :D

He also pointed out that the 'teaching' and 'teaching style' is much better at Grammar than what a comp could provide
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now