Which English/Comprehension tests/papers to use?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Which English/Comprehension tests/papers to use?

Post by Manana »

We have the Bond English and Comprehension papers, but is there anything else that's good to use, especially as you get closer to the test? I have seen some 'Bright Sparks' books for English, but they seem to be multiple choice which I didn't think the Essex English paper was? Are the GL/Letts books good?

I'm struggling with the idea of the English paper to be honest. Some of the children on this forum (well, the parents are on here!) seem to have done amazingly well this year with scores of 35/50. When I went through the paper, I didn't score nearly that high and I have a degree in English!

The vocabulary/punctuation questions are tough, but ok. It's the comprehension ones that I found hard as in the the answer paper, the answers were so precise and it seems easy to miss the point slightly or not mention the particular words they are looking for.

Does anyone have any good tips for comprehension questions?! I have the Bond comprehension guide which is quite useful in telling you how to approach the text, but I'm still struggling!
Kate West

Re: Which English/Comprehension tests/papers to use?

Post by Kate West »

I agree the comprehension is very hard and the texts used really impenetrable even for us parents! Also have noticed that the 2011 paper was quite different with no section finding words in the text that mean the same as those on the list and lots of questions about things like simile, personification and more grammar focus (find the proper noun etc). Does anyone know if this will continue as has big effect on preparation?
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Hi Teachermum76

The only practice papers we bought were the pack from CSSE. We downloaded past papers from different GS's and DS began trying them AFTER the Summer hol's. To be honest he only tried a few comprehension papers and we concentrated more on the VR as these were not taught at school. We did take a very laid-back approach figuring if he was a GS type boy he would pass. I don't think that you can cram for a comp test - just make sure that your DS/DD is familiar with the test layout and remind them not to make silly mistakes! Everything they need to know should already be lurking in their brains - DS scored 35/50.
laluna

Post by laluna »

I was wondering whether to get the Bond Comprehension Guide. Is it worth it?