Scores on the doors!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marie

Post by Marie »

Hm... I think you have misjudged the ethos. I spent many hours scouring this site trying to guage the marks required to gain a place. Figures of 95% + circulated with abandon and a reality check on the actual levels required would have been of comfort and help in supporting my child. I am sure others would agree with this?

The marks on last years Mill on the Floss were of particular significance and gave a better sense of perspective whilst waiting for the results from the impossible Tess..!!!

I have friends who have been less fortunate - and they are interested in the marks to support them in an appeal. Maybe I should tell them it is vulgar and crass...but I think they would look aghast and tell me to grow up.

Marie

Post by Guest »

Well said Marie, my friends feel the same too.
remlap

Post by remlap »

Have to say, with respect and please don't take offence,... Karen's post's at times have seemed a little bit too "sugary and sweet", butin this case I beleive her sentiments about asking parents to post scores are genuine.

I did find it usefeul to gauge how high the bar was that our children were expected to jump through, so cannot disagree with the appropriateness of requesting us to post our scores.

The poster who suggested it was "vulgar and crass"...I'm presuming you had a tough time...i.e. going through appeals hanbdling diappointment with low scores?.(that's just reading between the lines from what you've written)..if this is the case I think it's more your own feelings than those of others that have motivated you to suggest how it will be seen.

let's not forget the whole 11+ experience is hard and cruel on children who should not have to face this kind of pressure so early in life...but as loads of other postings have said..."that's life"....this next step of seeing how well (or not) others have done is no worse than that and is only another part of the experiences (or hard knocks?) that children have to go through.

Don't mean to sound too harsh, but as parents we knew what we were putting them up for when we entered into them for the exam and we all knew how limited the places were.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Dear (disapproving) Guest.

I was deeply upset by your remarks.

I am not here to boast about my son's achievement at the expense of those who were less fortunate. He will not be discussing his scores with anyone at school.

My intentions with requesting people to post their scores was, as Marie has already pointed out, to help those parents, like myself, who were trying to find out any information they could. The only reason I originally joined this forum was because I saw a thread entitled "What scores did you need for KEGS 2006?". It helped enormously to see what other people had posted. We discussed at great length what we thought would be the required score and the debate will go on. Previous scores were requested and some were kind enough to post them.

This forum is full of parents who, in reality, are competing with each other for places, but they never gave the impression that they wished their child to be more successful than the others. They were happy to give out information that would help, rather than hold it back so their child would have an advantage. And, when the results arrived last week, we were there to congratulate those who did well, whilst sparing a huge thought and shedding a tear for those who didn't. And we will continue to support them.

I, for one, will continue to visit this forum and will do my best to make sure anyone who needs help gets it. That's what people who care do.

Regards
K

Post by Guest »

remlap wrote:Have to say, with respect and please don't take offence,... Karen's post's at times have seemed a little bit too "sugary and sweet", butin this case I beleive her sentiments about asking parents to post scores are genuine.

I did find it usefeul to gauge how high the bar was that our children were expected to jump through, so cannot disagree with the appropriateness of requesting us to post our scores.

The poster who suggested it was "vulgar and crass"...I'm presuming you had a tough time...i.e. going through appeals hanbdling diappointment with low scores?.(that's just reading between the lines from what you've written)..if this is the case I think it's more your own feelings than those of others that have motivated you to suggest how it will be seen.

let's not forget the whole 11+ experience is hard and cruel on children who should not have to face this kind of pressure so early in life...but as loads of other postings have said..."that's life"....this next step of seeing how well (or not) others have done is no worse than that and is only another part of the experiences (or hard knocks?) that children have to go through.

Don't mean to sound too harsh, but as parents we knew what we were putting them up for when we entered into them for the exam and we all knew how limited the places were.
OK, I know this is going to sound cynical but do you think that we are going to see more people posting;

"My daughter came 115/620 and her raw scores were X,Y,Z. Hope this helps anyone applying for next year who wants to find out what the mininmum score required is on the first pass", when you can just ring the Consortium and they'll give that information for nothing,

or, are we going to be seeing posts such as;

"my son came 8th at Colchester and got 97% in the VR, we can't believe it!".

Sorry, been there, seen it (3 times) and bought the tee-shirt. No, this is playground stuff, "you show me yours and I'll show you mine and we'll see which one is bigger". Look back at some old threads from previous years in this and other forums.

To quote Francis Bacon; "The less people speak of their greatness the more we think of it."

.... and for the previous poster, all 3 of my children were fortunate enough, eventually, to be offered places at Grammar schools. Although initially stressed by the fact that my youngest son didn't get offerred a place, within a week we were fairly relaxed as the Consortium were absolutely brilliant. They updated us on his position on the waiting list and indicated that in previous years that would mean he was very likely to be offered a place as he was quite high up on it. This is the point I've been trying to get over. If you care about helping people next year, in particular respect to understanding the minimum score required to get a place at say WHSG, point them at the Consortium. This is just a love-in for braggers.

Post by Guest »

A collegue's daughter gained a place at one of the grammar school's last year. On her first day, playground chat was all about position. It may have just been a first day thing, but it happened.
I have no problem with publishing my child's scores on this problem, although for anonymity's sake I will not state her position, only whether she was above or below the school's published admission number. This is not for the sake of bragging - I published my son's scores on this forum last year and he did not gain a place. During the lead up to the exam I, like many other parents, was craving information and would have soaked up everything and anything offered.

Post by Guest »

My daughter started at Chelmsford last year. There was only 1 or 2 braggers and they were the ones who had the top couple of places. However, at the new parents evening held by the PA (which by the way is a lovely evening) there was one mother who bought a note book and pen, and went around the parents asking name of daughter and their ranking! This poor child had been prepped for the High school since her mother gave birth to her.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks to the guest who has advised us that information can be gleaned directly from the Consortium, via a phone call.
Future parents, going through this roller coaster, would probably not be aware that this would be available.

I also agree with Karen and ask that any information about their experience be posted, as this would be available 24/7, to any and all.

Each have their own place.

For the parents of future 11+ candidates, as many avenues of information there are the better.

I believe thats the original reason, parents come upon this wonderful site!!

BW

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:My daughter started at Chelmsford last year. There was only 1 or 2 braggers and they were the ones who had the top couple of places. However, at the new parents evening held by the PA (which by the way is a lovely evening) there was one mother who bought a note book and pen, and went around the parents asking name of daughter and their ranking! This poor child had been prepped for the High school since her mother gave birth to her.
Hi,

If anyone has studied psychology, they will know that the brain has a social dominance system that demands that we form a "dominance hierarchy", what you might call a "pecking order". The creator of this thread has a strong desire for "social reinforcement" and a need to formalise her perceived "pecking order", much like the lady you met with her pen and paper. This isn't a criticism but an observation. I have to agree with the earlier poster, this thread was certainly not started with the intention of helping next years parents.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guests

This thread is suddenly becoming personal, bordering on rude. Please read forum rules.

viewtopic.php?t=148

I totally agree with the view put forward by Bewildered

Patricia