Scores on the doors!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

At the time of writing, the originator of this post has no idea what her child's ranking is. For all she knows, her child could have gained the last place available. Hardly something to brag about. I believe this thread was started with good intentions.
remlap

Post by remlap »

Just a reminder that parents did actually post straight after the exam in November that they hoped people would come back onto the forum and advise how their children got on in March...that was before they knew if they had "passed" or not.

Yes, I have studied psychology and psychotherpay (which is why reading this site is so interesting). In my view there is just as much evidence of 'social dominance' by the adverse reaction to the original poster's request.

I can't believe that any caring parent could object to a request for scores to be posted and be inclined to beleives it is for the ego of the parents rather than an intention to help.

This site is designed to help parents support their children and if Karen feels that this is a way of helping other parents, who is anyway to say that is wrong. We are all individuals, all views should be welcomed without personal feelings being hurt.....disagree by all means, but also respect the views of others.

Future parents can now read the diverse views and make their own minds up.
Essex Mum

Post by Essex Mum »

Have to agree with previous Guest and Remlap. I cannot see any harm in giving others the scores that are required to gain entry.

If anyone does not want to give too much away they could remain anonomous and just place the score .
Karen

Post by Karen »

Anonymous wrote:At the time of writing, the originator of this post has no idea what her child's ranking is. For all she knows, her child could have gained the last place available. Hardly something to brag about. I believe this thread was started with good intentions.
It certainly was started with good intentions. I apologise to anyone who sees it differently, that was definitely not intended. I asked people if they were willing (not forcing them) to post.

I certainly would not go round with a pen and paper asking others for their marks, just so I could see where they ranked in relation to my son. I (and others) thought the information would be useful and I would have posted the scores even if my son didn't get offered a place. Like I said earlier, it was this kind of information that brought me to the forum in the first place.

Had I known back then that I could have just called the consortium I would have done so. But then I wouldn't have had the benefit of all the other very valuable information and assistance that can be found on this forum and the website. Thank you.

K.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a Grammar school teacher it is probably worth saying that the VR ranking in Bucks gave VERY few clues to the ability of the child - the KS2 NC levels told me more -

It is how hard they work when they get there and their other abilities not tested like attitude and whether they can take feedback on board in order to improve that is more important.
s mum

Post by s mum »

Agreed, attitude and work ethic influence performance and friends have told me that their child's rank in the end of year exams is nothing like the ranking they got at 11+ so posting the rank and the scores may not be relevant but for those new parents posting raw scores and saying which school would be helpful as the least it provides another source of info. Karen, all the best to you, you have been frank and honest,I'm sure many will ask for your help.

Post by Guest »

hi, first of all I know Karen only had good intentions when posting scores on the doors, from reading lots of her previous postings I know her heart is always in the right place and it wasn't meant to be misinterpreted. Would the guest with the child that was offered a place after the offer day (ie from the waiting list) mind telling me what month the offer was made and how far down the waiting list her child was? Mine didn't make it and although I do think "fair enough we gave it a go and he was never a dead cert" I am still hoping and praying a place may become available at a later stage and any information anyone has on this would be helpful as would other people's experience of being offered a place at a later stage (ie how long was the wait compared to how long down the waiting list they were etc). Thanks again

ps you are right about the scores not making any difference in the long run, my other child was quite near the bottom of 11 plus result and has been above average so far all the way through.

Post by Guest »

You might also be interested to know that at KEGS (and other schools, I'm sure) information on rankings in the 11+ is not communicated to staff, so it really shouldn't matter to you. I'm told that something is done with the data - to check that it does measure what we want it to.

You might also be interested to know that one of the top five students in Year 10 got in on appeal. That's unusual, but shows that drive is as important as intellect, even at a school like KEGS.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:You might also be interested to know that at KEGS (and other schools, I'm sure) information on rankings in the 11+ is not communicated to staff, so it really shouldn't matter to you. I'm told that something is done with the data - to check that it does measure what we want it to.

You might also be interested to know that one of the top five students in Year 10 got in on appeal. That's unusual, but shows that drive is as important as intellect, even at a school like KEGS.
Sorry to go off on a tangent. I've never quite understood how Kegs or the other Grammars are able to allocate all their places and then entertain appeals. I know they do, I just don't understand how! Do they handle appeals immediately after the first set of offers are made, knowing they are going to get quite a few rejections, then allocate appeal places and then offer the remaining places in June or do they go from 112 places to however many appeals are sucessfull?

How many appeals are successfull at Kegs?

My other question is that friend told me they set for Maths at Kegs at the end of year 7. Do they take into account your position in the 11+?

Thank you.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

My Dear karen

I know you have started this thread for all the right reasons, and I will certainly post my daughters scores/rankings when i receive them on Tuesday (hopefully) And that's not to brag to others but to help other parents who may be appealing, and to new 11+ parents.

Chin up my interactive buddy, I know how genuine you really are!! :D

Joanne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now