Scores on the doors!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest150

Post by guest150 »

Just to add. My daughter is in year 7 at one of the grammer schools and yes the rankings were discussed in the first few weeks of term but this is now old news and totally irrelevent to them. Relationships that were intiated in the first weeks of term have changed and although all seem to be coping with senior schooling, when suddenly faced with the outcomes of the first history essay - The Mill on the Floss result is not even mentioned. The only ones that really seemed to be concentrating on the results were those that were late into the placings and perhaps lacking in confidence in their ability as opposed to those that knew they were into the school from March. Surely as parents we are mindful of our children's needs and my daughter for sure has based her life in grammar school on the bus journey, the homework and the challenge - not her placing, which I am not even sure she would be able to tell you now. half way through year 7 and the anxiety that we all felt is totally irrelevent. I am glad to say that now my other child has been accepted into the same system I will not have to face this situation again and it is a shame that as parents we are forced to deal with issues such as placings just to ensure the best for our children.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Joanne wrote:My Dear karen

I know you have started this thread for all the right reasons, and I will certainly post my daughters scores/rankings when i receive them on Tuesday (hopefully) And that's not to brag to others but to help other parents who may be appealing, and to new 11+ parents.

Chin up my interactive buddy, I know how genuine you really are!! :D

Joanne
Thank you, Joanne. I really appreciate your support and friendship. It seems a few have misinterpreted my question. It is not for the benefit of those who are going forward into their grammar schools; it is for those that are yet to do 11+.
I remember how we all felt at the time. We were desperate for information and requested people who had been through it to post scores so we would have some idea what we were up against. Some people very kindly did so and it certainly helped me.
I just wanted to do the same for the future 11+ parents. Ho Hum. :?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:hi, first of all I know Karen only had good intentions when posting scores on the doors, from reading lots of her previous postings I know her heart is always in the right place and it wasn't meant to be misinterpreted. Would the guest with the child that was offered a place after the offer day (ie from the waiting list) mind telling me what month the offer was made and how far down the waiting list her child was? Mine didn't make it and although I do think "fair enough we gave it a go and he was never a dead cert" I am still hoping and praying a place may become available at a later stage and any information anyone has on this would be helpful as would other people's experience of being offered a place at a later stage (ie how long was the wait compared to how long down the waiting list they were etc). Thanks again

ps you are right about the scores not making any difference in the long run, my other child was quite near the bottom of 11 plus result and has been above average so far all the way through.
If it helps, Chelmsford offered places through to June. But saying that there were only a few places offered. A maximum of 6 I think. What you have to think of at this late stage thought is that they may have missed the induction day and they will have missed the Hockey and Netball sessions that they hold in the evenings, for the girls to get to know each other and for the school to start picking their teams!
Marie

Post by Marie »

Karen wrote:
Joanne wrote:My Dear karen

I know you have started this thread for all the right reasons, and I will certainly post my daughters scores/rankings when i receive them on Tuesday (hopefully) And that's not to brag to others but to help other parents who may be appealing, and to new 11+ parents.

Chin up my interactive buddy, I know how genuine you really are!! :D

Joanne
Thank you, Joanne. I really appreciate your support and friendship. It seems a few have misinterpreted my question. It is not for the benefit of those who are going forward into their grammar schools; it is for those that are yet to do 11+.
I remember how we all felt at the time. We were desperate for information and requested people who had been through it to post scores so we would have some idea what we were up against. Some people very kindly did so and it certainly helped me.
I just wanted to do the same for the future 11+ parents. Ho Hum. :?
Hi Karen - I too was only thinking of how it was when I set out on the journey. I had and have no intention of being unkind or boasftul. It is just that time and time again I wanted to know the scores so that I could prepare my child and myself from an informed position. My daughter couldn't give a hoot now what scores people got or come to that, even her own scores. What she did care about however in the weeks up to November were the scores others had got in 2005/6 so that she had a feel for her own chances as she completed the practice papers. It also made her feel better after she tried Mill on the Floss, had her confidence shattered and then realised others found it hard as well.

I am not sure now if I will share the results ..if it so clearly offends others.
dream on

Post by dream on »

I would have been very interested to know past results when doing practice papers with my daughter. I kept hearing that children needed to be scoring at least ninety percent (especially in the VR), and to be in the eighties-plus in the other two papers. However, I know that my daughter missed out several questions in the VR, yet has still been offered a place! (and I can't think that she would have got every question she did answer right!) People will not be posting results in order to be boastful, but just to give people preparing for the 11plus a more realistic view of what they need to aim for.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
shaking mum wrote:I am hoping the scores and placings give hope to those who have had bad news (bo peep & others) I know of two boys who got KEGS and are turning it down so things will change.
A word to the wise! For what it's worth, as a Mum with 3 children at Grammar Schools in Essex, be very very careful about discussing placings and scores.

For those who have just missed out on a place you will know very early next week, EXACTLY where your son or daughter is on the waiting lists for your schools of choice. The order of merit system at school level means that the last girl in at Chelmsford County High will receive a letter saying CCHS Position = 120/620 for instance, as there are 120 available places. So if your daughter has a placing of 127/620, you know that 7 girls have to turn down places for your daughter to be offered a place. So knowing raw scores and other childrens placings higher up adds no value what so ever. If you want to ring the consortium every other day, they will be happy to give you an update of where your child now stands on the waiting list for your school of choice. I know, I've been there!

For me, an anonymous parent, with children who finsished at a various ends of the order of merit spectrum, it made not a jot of difference where they were placed, only that they got a place. That was always enough for us. I can promise you 2 things at the Grammar schools. 1, the children don't discuss placings, particularly the boys, as it's seen as 'un-cool' and secondly the placings, generally, have little or no bearing on how a child performs once they are at the Grammar school.

Let's be honest, as the jaunty title of this forum suggests "Scores on the doors", this isn't a thread designed to ease the pressure on those parents whose children have missed out but a way of certain parents boasting about their children. Oh, not only did he get a place, he got 95% in the VR, we're so thrilled!'. This thread is vulgar and crass. Don't contribute to it, it's just rubbing the noses of the parents whose children haven't achieved a place in it.
Thank you. It is nice to read something from someone who has a thought for the rest of us. I am delighted for those of you whose children have won their places. Truly. But we have taken this ride with the rest of you and being the parent of one who passed and another who later, did not. I have seen it from both sides of the fence. I know I was more tender as a victor than those rubbing it in my face this year in the play ground. I know you are all only happy and delighted and relieved.. and I would be too.. but it is heart warming to know that some of you have the compassion of this poster. Thank you again.
Essex Mum

Post by Essex Mum »

Anonymous wrote:
shaking mum wrote:I am hoping the scores and placings give hope to those who have had bad news (bo peep & others) I know of two boys who got KEGS and are turning it down so things will change.
A word to the wise! For what it's worth, as a Mum with 3 children at Grammar Schools in Essex, be very very careful about discussing placings and scores.

For those who have just missed out on a place you will know very early next week, EXACTLY where your son or daughter is on the waiting lists for your schools of choice. The order of merit system at school level means that the last girl in at Chelmsford County High will receive a letter saying CCHS Position = 120/620 for instance, as there are 120 available places. So if your daughter has a placing of 127/620, you know that 7 girls have to turn down places for your daughter to be offered a place. So knowing raw scores and other childrens placings higher up adds no value what so ever. If you want to ring the consortium every other day, they will be happy to give you an update of where your child now stands on the waiting list for your school of choice. I know, I've been there!

For me, an anonymous parent, with children who finsished at a various ends of the order of merit spectrum, it made not a jot of difference where they were placed, only that they got a place. That was always enough for us. I can promise you 2 things at the Grammar schools. 1, the children don't discuss placings, particularly the boys, as it's seen as 'un-cool' and secondly the placings, generally, have little or no bearing on how a child performs once they are at the Grammar school.

Let's be honest, as the jaunty title of this forum suggests "Scores on the doors", this isn't a thread designed to ease the pressure on those parents whose children have missed out but a way of certain parents boasting about their children. Oh, not only did he get a place, he got 95% in the VR, we're so thrilled!'. This thread is vulgar and crass. Don't contribute to it, it's just rubbing the noses of the parents whose children haven't achieved a place in it.
Have to say it is not as simple as that! How can you assume that ecery child put Chelmsford as their first choice, they don't. You cannot say that the girl who was 120/600 was the last place offered, it is not. There are girls who don't put Chelmsford first and therefore are not offered, the LEA automatically goes to the next girl on the list. Last year my friends daughter was offered a place in the first round of offers and she was late 140's.
Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Karen, I'm glad there are so many people supporting you , I know without a shadow of a doubt, if I lived in your neck of your woods I would post as it could bring me some comfort and a realistic veiw as to where my child stands.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Karen,

Hello love. I have my daughters scores in front of me. Shall i post them or not? that is the question!

I don't want people to think i am bragging about my daughters scores, and to be honest one set of marks is not that great (bless her, must have been the nerves)

what does everyone suggest, post or not to post???? :shock:

Joanne x
Karen

Post by Karen »

Joanne wrote:Karen,

Hello love. I have my daughters scores in front of me. Shall i post them or not? that is the question!

I don't want people to think i am bragging about my daughters scores, and to be honest one set of marks is not that great (bless her, must have been the nerves)

what does everyone suggest, post or not to post???? :shock:

Joanne x
Hi there. Are you well? I see you're already gettting organised on the travel front.
I, too, have the scores in front of me. I want to wait until my son gets home, so he can see them first (looks like nerves played a big part for him too!) :shock:
K xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now