books for essex exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
suffolkmum

books for essex exam

Post by suffolkmum »

now that there are so many books in the market for the 11+ which ones are most appropriate for the essex 11+ exam. I ask this because the standards of the books seem to vary, as does the content
Gottal

Re: books for essex exam

Post by Gottal »

We use bond and S Curran
sargul

Post by sargul »

Bond books are the most used along with SUSSAN C ..

goodluck

sarah
Manana

Post by Manana »

sargul wrote:Bond books are the most used along with SUSSAN C ..

goodluck

sarah
Which books are the Sussan C ones?
sargul

Post by sargul »

Sorry my mistake it was Sausan J Daughtrey, We only used it at the start as it has a tequnique book that shows you how to do the vr questions that you may not know how to do then it has further practice after child knows all the different questions. They can normally do the Vr bond books with much more confidence.

I home school my DD with help of a tutor so have a long list of materials that are great if you wish to know more books just pm me!

Sarah..x
moved

Post by moved »

Susan Daughtrey's Bright Sparks are the most appropriate for the Essex 11+. Her other books cover 35 techniques, rather than the 21 used and are not multiple choice. There are similar issues with the Bond VR - lots of irrelevant questions and all in standard format.

On the Bucks thread Patricia has provided a list of useful resources for VR. Essex and Bucks have the same style of VR paper and both are produced by GL Assessment.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A new guide to technique has been produced by GL assessment.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bond are excellent for both English and maths
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have that GL 11+ VR Explained and it is excellent. Loads of suggestions for games and activities as well as techniques and practice.
moved

Post by moved »

Forgot to say that S Curran is Steven Curran and the books are for vocab development.
sargul

Post by sargul »

yoyo123 wrote:I have that GL 11+ VR Explained and it is excellent. Loads of suggestions for games and activities as well as techniques and practice.

They sound great yo yo I have to say in the fact that you say they have games it it ! my DD often gets bored of the bond books :S be a great alternative for her .. going to look in to it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now