WESTCLIFF HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TG

Post by TG »

Our son is also going to WHSB, but as yet have received no welcome pack - interestingly, Southend Boys have received theirs already.
I agree end of April seems a long time to wait - unless they think there may be some waiting list movement!
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi

We also received our welcome pack today (thankfully), absolutely delighted...lots of hard work for them etc, but also nice to hear how they support them on there move from primary to high school, as its a big step.

Does anyone know what CAT's are?, to worried about SATS at the moment to think about next stage.

Well done to everyone its a great idea regarding the talk for parents on the 6th, I'm looking forward to it.

Jacqui

Post by Guest »

CATs are Cognitive Ability Tests which usually come in 3 forms - Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning and Numeracy. You are given a mark where 100 is average and informed which centile your child in on. The verbal reasoning test is similar to the 11+ test where this is tested (ie Bucks).
Pedaling Mum

School uniform

Post by Pedaling Mum »

Hi, Does anyone know what is the 'Houses'? Is it a matter when we go to buy the uniform for them? :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

More about CAT tests - a bit unkind to test them on Induction day!!

http://www.nfer-nelson.co.uk/education/ ... .asp?css=1

Sometimes you don't get a score but just the stanine [1 to 9 where 9 is highest]
PEACHYS

HOUSES

Post by PEACHYS »

There are 4 houses,red,blue,green yellow with special names.
They each have a type of crest.
You can see these in the main hall on the wall.

On your first day of school you find out what house you are in, and given
the appropriate colour ribbon to sew onto your blazer pocket in the first week.

Hope this helps!
Pedaling Mum

Post by Pedaling Mum »

Thanks for your reply!
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi Guest 55

Thanks for the information I have saved it to my favourites & will view after the Easter holiday, it does seem a bit mean to test them on there induction day. But as they are being tested all the time at the moment for SATs I'm sure they will think nothing of the test, but I'm also going to ask her teacher about them after Easter.

Jacqui
JOJO

11=

Post by JOJO »

hi i am new to all this, but would be really interested in making contact with goldjag as we live in hullbridge and have been told to by school to allow our daughter to sit 11+(she is presently in yr 5)did your daughter attend local school?
goldjag

Post by goldjag »

Hi JoJo

Sorry the for the delay in responding but we have been on holiday since the 31/03 & we have only been back a couple days.

My daughter attend the local school in Hullbridge, but after visiting all the schools in the area decided she really wanted to go to an all girls school. We visited the school when she went into yr5 & again in yr 6 & she still wanted to go. She worked very hard to revise for the exam, tution for an hour a week then about 1-2 hours homework per week on top of her homework from school.

The school were absolutely delighted when she received a place & the head feels confident that our daughther will do really well.

Again sorry the delay & hope you do receive this message.