Preparation over summer hols - what should I use?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kate West

Preparation over summer hols - what should I use?

Post by Kate West »

I have read so much on here about lots of different ways to prepare that my head is hurting!! :? Am a bit concerned that things will stagnate over summer hols as not long once Sept rolls round till actual 11+ (argh!)so want to keep my daughters 'hand in' - have some work from her tutor but would be good to have some more material. Any suggestions - are the 'variety packs' a good buy? Have read that Bond are good but some of their English stuff gets slated on Amazon for being too 'multiple choice' - all help very much appreciated!

Thanks.
menagerie

Re: Preparation over summer hols - what should I use?

Post by menagerie »

Not at that stage yet, but I've noticed lots of people at that stage seem happy with those 10 minute tests which keep the heat up on the types of questions they'll be asked, without dominating the holidays.
Kate West

Post by Kate West »

Thanks will have a look at those - do you know publisher?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I'm pretty sure Bond does them. Not bought them yet for my DC but will this time next year.
Kate West

Post by Kate West »

Thanks - just had a browse through in WH Smiths and think will get Bond ones they look good.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We used the bond level 5 papers and 10 min tests for maths and English. Avoid their VR though as they contain loads of non-required types which at this stage will be confusing.
moved

Post by moved »

I take it that you have had a good look through the shop http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/epapers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used a variety of papers with my pupils with the aim of covering as wide a range of material as possible. Writing your own papers in the correct style is also very helpful. Then writing questions of the type that your child gets wrong so that the relevant skills are honed.

During the summer I encourage pupils to aim for a paper per week in each subject. Getting used to timing is important and maintaining the concentration of sitting for a protracted period.
Kate West

Post by Kate West »

Thanks all! Unfortunately have ordered Bond VR too didn't realise not all relevant to Essex - it's a bit of a minefield isn't it! Have looked at e-papers - are the VR on there relevant for Essex ? - perhaps will return Bond book and just print some VR stuff off. Have promised my DD first week of hols no homework then will try to aim for paper a week in each subject as advised to keep her hand in. I do think it is a lot for them to do all this work - why the 11+ can't just test them on what they learn at school I don't know - must be a better way!!! Anyway thanks guys for all your advice.
moved

Post by moved »

Don't worry it continues once they are in grammar! Many grammars set a project that is completed during the summer prior to entry and then when they are there DC are advised to revisit certain topics in their report so that they are ready for the next academic year.

The Tutors papers are good for VR, if a little easy.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Have I missed something?

DD going to CCHS, chelmsford, no summer projects set here
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now