Week off school before the exam ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
optimisticmom

Re: Week off school before the exam ?

Post by optimisticmom »

We (my friends kids and mine) took our children out of school the week before the exam for every exam, so that they could have a period of focussed learning.

Each to their own really. Some children need it and some don't. We did Bexley, Kent and Essex and passed them all. Now, would we have done better if we were at school?? who knows but I am so glad we didn't have to find out the hard way on March 1st.

You know your child and what they need, you are the best person to decide whether what they need is last minute focussed revision or normality.

The tutors we used at the time highly recommended this and as they had close liasions with the school hence the schools were in full support.

I say that you must do everything within your powers to ensure your child gets the rest/revision they need!! after all, you only get one shot!
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

optimisticmom wrote:You know your child and what they need, you are the best person to decide whether what they need is last minute focussed revision or normality.
This is true. However, you are also the best person to decide if a GS education is the best option for your child. Your child will need to perform to a certain level throughout each year, every year. Are you suggesting that DS/DD will need a period of 'focused revision' before every test? That's an awful lot of missed school!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

hence the schools were in full support
Can you clarify if you are talking state or indi here as I can't imagine my primary's head agreeing to this. State school policy in my area seems to be that they will not do anything to help with the 11 plus. I know of one child who had to take the 11 plus on the alternative date (a wednesday) due to illness and this was counted as an unauthorised absence!
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

No, not before every test. Because, a test is simply a test. But an exam like eleven plus or GCSE's are different. After the eleven plus they had Keystage 2 and I didn't take her out then. I prioritised the eleven plus against the KS2. It really is up to her now with much guidance from me.

You are also right, the GS route is certainly not for every child.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

In my group, there were 4 kids and one was from an indi school. The other 3 came from state schools. One of the kids was the only child in her year doing the 11 plus in the whole schl!! The others had many other kids sitting the exams. The 3 schools were in support.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Personally, I would not keep my son off school for a week before the 11+ (we just took the Friday off beforehand). I think it is important to keep a child's routine as normal as possible if you can. Maybe if a child doesn't know enough by then, the final few days won't make a lot of difference. However, trying to keep the stress and pressure to a minimum might just show better results. There's not really a 'right' or 'wrong', just each and everyone to their own!
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

Well this has finally given me the impetus to join. Having taken my DS through the 11 plus in 2009 and his first year at CRGS as a voyeur I cannot remain silent for a moment longer.

How can anyone think of taking a child out of school for a week just because they have their 11 plus coming up. If they are incapable of passing without this then they shouldn't be going to a grammar. You aren't doing them any favours at all taking them out of school. Also, what kind of message are you giving them about the importance of always turning up.

My DS had no tutoring and went to school every day including the Friday before the exam. He only just scraped a place at CRGS but at the end of his first year is in the top quartile of his form and year group. The heavy tutoring and mollycoddling is temporary and cannot be sustained. If people stopped trying to buy grammar places with expensive tutors and just let the DCs show what they are capable of there would be fewer places given to DCs who aren't really up to it.

It is a hard old world out there and I'd say if you think the pressure of the exam will be too much for them wait for the pressure when they get somewhere like CRGS. Although it has the loveliest atmosphere and is incredibly supportive and the boys who fit in have the best ever time, the work it to a very high standard and they will only enjoy themselves if they can keep up. Taking them out of school for a week before exams so the little poppets can do a bit of revision and not be stressed by their friends will not go down well with the Heads of any Grammar I can think of.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Oh thank you crgsmum! I thought I was the only parent out there with the belief that their DS didn't need the mollycoddling that seems so prevalent. One can't help but wonder at where the 'stress' to pass the 11+ originates. A week off to deal with it? Ridiculous.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

crgsmum, I agree with you that CRGS has a lovely atmosphere. My DS has just finished his first year there and is very happy. The 'standard' is also extremely high and I am sure this is the same for each year group throughout the school.

However, it is up to each individual parent whether they pay for their child to be tutored or not and if they wish to take them out of school leading up to the exam. As I said, I would not personally take my son out of school and this is just my opinion. If my post wasn't clear, I think that if a child follows a normal routine in the build up to the exam by not having a week off of school, this may help to keep any stress to a minimum. Also being with their friends can only be a good thing as they won't have much time to think of anything else.
moved

Post by moved »

I am pleased that all worked out well for you. But not all children are the same. Many of us have children who were not tutored and many have children who were heavily tutored.

As parents surely our job is to give our children the best future we can. If it takes tutoring to achieve that aim can you really say that the child would be better off in a sink comp than in a grammar, even if they struggle slightly.

Can we also remember the forum rules of politeness and respect for others.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now