Week off school before the exam ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

push-pull-mum

Re: Week off school before the exam ?

Post by push-pull-mum »

I presume this tutor is aware than taking a child out of school for the purposes of 'study leave' or whatever he chooses to call it is against the law!
Will he pay the fine for you when the school puts two and two together and realises what you're up to?

I think your first instinct is entirely right and, unless you consider (after the results come out) that he is come kind of educational genius I would make a point of not using his services for subsequent children or recommending him to friends. He's going to get someone into trouble one day.
moved

Post by moved »

I know of several children in the Southend region who were out of school over the last few years. Perhaps the same tutor. Some parents made their children work, others took it as time to chill as the other children at school were all getting stressed. Given the timing of the exam, late in November, some of them may just have been poorly.

It wouldn't be my choice and I would never recommend this route as a tutor. But it is your choice and he is your son.

One parent took her daughter out for a day midweek before the exam to reduce her daughter's stress. They had a lovely day shopping and having lunch. It helped both of them to take their minds of the exam for a day.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agree with Moved, though I don't thnk kids should be out of school unless they are ill, in the circumstances of 11 plus exams, when other kids may be winding them up - there is a lot to be said for a "duvet day"
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

Our tutor also recommended this. However, both dds went to school every day before the 11+. Several of their friends missed the day before the exam. Some gave up their hobbies in the year leading up to it as well. I thought that as I managed to get a university degree without doing this it seemed crazy for an 11 year old to do it. Both obtained places at chosen grammar schools. I'm not sure what the people who stayed at home did but I know the revision we tried to do on the evening before the exam got us both worried, as everything seemed to go wrong!
moved

Post by moved »

As a tutor I always recommended that the last week is a week of rest and relaxation. No whole papers as the risk of a low score can knock confidence. I did always try to end on a high note with an easier paper in each subject the week before so that pupils had the most confidence when tackling the exam.

DD, however, could not cope with the lack of work and sneaked papers in her room!
sargul

Post by sargul »

moved that really made me laugh! it seems like the sort of thing my daughter would do!
I already home school my daughter for personal reasons, however if she went to school personally I would not let her have the week off! although the shopping day or duvet day a dexam seems good rather than stressing them out! but a week is way to long !

your instinct as a parent is normally correct so trust your judgment! you know your child the best and what makes them tick! good luck with it!
vasu

Post by vasu »

I am tempted to take my son off for a a few days before the test but I wont. Being with friends will relax him. Will give him some easy tests to do, to build confidence. I will take a half day off before exam to settle him down. He has been preparing for the exam for 1.5 years, if he is not well prepared by now, what would few extra days off school would achieve. :)
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Abba

Post by Abba »

DS did his 11+ in 2010. He’s a very happy-go-lucky boy but he looked visibly stressed a day before the Essex exam and on the actual day. It was VERY out of character for him to be so wound up….it turns out that he was having little chats with other boys in his school and some of the boys feeling the pressure ‘shared’ it. It may even have been me – although I was trying my best to keep it together.

Anyway, coming back to the point, vasu, it might be an idea to eavesdrop on the chats that the friends are having just in case to make sure that it isn’t working to the contrary…
vasu

Post by vasu »

Unfortunately, my son and another one are the only 2 boys giving the exam. His best buddies are going to the local comprehensive. I have asked him time and again whether he wants to be with his friends. But he wants to get into this particular grammar school. I keep having talks with him to see if is freaking out by the situation. But I am proud to say he is handling it quite well. Actually I am the one going to pieces. :shock:
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

vasu mine were very laid back about the whole thing, but I was a wreak. On the day of the exam I couldn't wait to drop them off and go. When I walked down the path I could feel tears welling up in my eyes - how ridiculous! I think it was because I had been keeping my feelings hidden for so long that it all came out whilst they were sitting the exam. I couldn't wait for the evening to come to have a nice glass of red wine! :lol:

Rinette, trust your instincts. My middle son had sinusitus and a throat infection when he sat the eleven plus. I took him out of school the day before the exam so that he could have a nice long sleep. However, youngest son went into school. Most of his class were sitting the exam and the school carried on as normal but injected a bit more fun into the day to try to ease any tension. Both got into their selected school. Good luck. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now