Move from KEGS to CRGS in 6th form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: Move from KEGS to CRGS in 6th form

Post by Minesatea »

I can see your point but I think the problem is far more wide spread than just CRGS. The following quotes are from the prospectus of Colchester Sixth form College the main educator of post 16 year olds in Colchester:
For those applicants attending Colchester schools and other
first priority applicants the interview is focussed on ensuring
that you are being put onto the most appropriate programme
of study. However the interviewer will only be able to make a
firm offer of a place if they have good evidence from your
report or a school reference that you are likely to achieve the
full entry criteria for your chosen programme of study.
For out of area applicants the interview will also be part of
the selection process.
They also have link / partner schools in the private sector, which also isn't allowed under the new admission code so I think there will be alot of changes before 2013.
Lloyd97

Post by Lloyd97 »

You make a good point, but I don't intend to take on the world! Also, as I have previously stated, schools have been prohibited from interviewing and using previous reports from schools for several years. I am quoting from the Admissions Code in 2008: "Schools must not interview children or their families for entry to Year 12, although a meeting can be held to provide advice on options and entry requirements for particular courses. Entry must not be dependent on attendance, behaviour record, or perceptions of attitude or motivation." The fact that the school holds 'a meeting to provide advice on options and entry requirements' suggests that they are very well aware of the Code. If they haven't changed their procedure now I don't think they will just because the Code has now been rewritten. If they are using this meeting or school references to decide who they offer places to, then they are clearly ignoring it. The Code is a statutory document and therefore forms part of the law of this country. I would like to reiterate that I am not criticising the school, just challenging its admissions procedure.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

So, if the current code allows a meeting to discuss options and entry requirements, and CRGS (or any other school) holds such meetings, where is the problem/illegality? Is it that you know DC are rejected on the basis of this or are you simply worried that this may be the case? A chat with the school may help to allay your concerns. Choosing and applying for a school place for our DC can be stressful. I understand that. I was not irritated by your post, just puzzled by why you see a meeting with the school to be such a dreadful prospect.

It may be that the school is in contravention of the code. It has happened before in relation to its administration of post 11+ waiting lists. That doesn't affect my opinion of the school. Nor does my opinion of the school preclude me from allowing that it may make a similar mistake again. The two are quite separate. I do wonder, though, if you have got yourself worked up unnecessarily, based on the assumptions that the school is currently using the meetings as a de facto interview and that they will not comply with the requirements of the new code. I think you should raise your concerns directly with the school - that way you'll know the School's position. Then if it seems there is a discrepancy between the code (whichever one applies to your DD) and the School's implementation of the same, you'll be justified in taking it further.
Lloyd97

Post by Lloyd97 »

Which takes me back to my first question:"what happens if the student has already taken advice, is already very clear about what A' levels they wish to take and so does not feel the need to attend the meeting?"
moved

Post by moved »

This is really interesting. The Southend grammars take up a reference from us in year 11 and also interview our pupils prior to making a conditional offer.
Westcliff only make an offer to pupils predicted 16 or more points.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Which , if I am following lloyd's argument correctly, is totally against the admissions code. The schools should, as KEGS do, allow anyone to apply and then take those with the highest GCSE grades on the day.

Possibly we are so enthralled by these schools that we just take their word as gospel and meekly do whatever they ask. I know that if KEGS required the mothers of applicants to run naked around the M25 in order to secure a place I would have done so happily.
Lloyd97

Post by Lloyd97 »

I suspect that might have less to do with admissions and more to do with the fact that the Head is a bit of a heartthrob to ladies with a certain leaning..... :D
moved

Post by moved »

Lloyd97 wrote:I suspect that might have less to do with admissions and more to do with the fact that the Head is a bit of a heartthrob to ladies with a certain leaning..... :D
Really? No running around the M25 for me. But then I think I'm fussy. I'd need a very attractive hare before I contemplated running even with my clothes on!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Lloyd97 wrote:I suspect that might have less to do with admissions and more to do with the fact that the Head is a bit of a heartthrob to ladies with a certain leaning..... :D
Indeed, despite living in West London I have heard him referred to as DT (darling Tom...) :D
mad?
TP123

Post by TP123 »

:shock: :shock: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now