Questions at CHS Open Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2 to go

Questions at CHS Open Evening

Post by 2 to go »

DD in Y8 has just returned from showing families round at CHS Open Evening. She said that the family kept asking her questions to test her knowledge, eg.
Which book is this quote from? (Pride and Prejudice)
Who wrote The Secret Garden?
How many books did Enid Blyton write?
They also asked her Maths questions and then proceeded to tell her the answers.
Worse than the 11+ and definitely not the point of the Open Evening!
Fran17

Re: Questions at CHS Open Evening

Post by Fran17 »

Oh dear, shame on them. What on earth was the point of that. :roll: You come across some strange people in life don't you. You should be very proud of your DD for taking the time out of her evening to proudly show prospective pupils around her school. A sad reflection of that particular family's character. It's best to just laugh at people like that.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

2 to go wrote: Which book is this quote from? (Pride and Prejudice)
Who wrote The Secret Garden?
How many books did Enid Blyton write?
Do you think they fell asleep in 1953 and have only just woken up?
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

There's nowt so queer as folk :roll:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Blimey! Even if they got the answers they were looking for, I can't see how that would inform their decision as to whether they wanted to apply for a place. How many books did Enid Blyton write? That has to be the most random thing I've ever heard! I bet the poor girl took it all with good grace while inwardly seething. I hope the girls were briefed that they may have to deal with some nutty parents.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Both of my two got asked their scores in the entrance exams, when they have helped at open evenings - a tad rude, I feel! :shock:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Very rude! Perhaps that is one reason why the headmistress was at great pains to point out that the 11+ scores are never mentioned in school - to give those who need it a less than subtle hint that it's simply bad form.

On the subject of rudeness, I was annoyed to find an advert for a tutoring company stuck under my windscreen wiper. It irritates me to get settled into the car, ready to drive, and then have to get out again to remove something from the windscreen. As most of the girls visiting the school only have another two months to go until the exam, I wonder what the point of the advert was anyway. Grrr!
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

Yes I had that flyer !! rather reminded me of those loathed ambulance chaser insurers !!! :roll: ...my year 7 DD was showing round but it appears she escaped any awkward questions ...thank goodness
KM

Post by KM »

Aaah - I may be able to shed some light on this! DD (Y10) and her friend were helping in the English dept. They made up a book quiz (for fun!) for the Y6 girls to do and if they took part they won a sweet. One of the questions was which book is this the opening line from - yes, it was Pride and Prejudice and another was who wrote The Secret Garden. All I can think is that they really wanted to win a sweet :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Both of my two got asked their scores in the entrance exams, when they have helped at open evenings - a tad rude, I feel! :shock:
That is the advantage of swimming - DD never gets asked any horrible questions!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now