CRGS Yr 7 English Homework - Babylon's Ark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Zibar

CRGS Yr 7 English Homework - Babylon's Ark

Post by Zibar »

The class was set a 700 word essay on Babylon's Ark last Friday to be handed in the following Thursday. DS announces on Sunday evening two days after he has known about the homework that he needs the Babylon's Ark book as school didn't have any spare copies. He then decided to try and download an eVersion of the book unsuccessfully and became very frustrated. Monday I tried to get hold of the book with limited time and to no avail. DS still advises that he definitely needs the book! I try again this morning by trying to order online but no one could deliver in 24hrs, tried calling various bookshops (no stock) and then I had a brainwave, try the library which should have been my first point of call. Thank god for the libraries that are still open!! They had only one but located in a library with a 40mile round trip!!! So what do I do, abandon work and drive a 40mile round trip for this book.....
DS will then have one night (tomorrow) to read the book ( I think he only needs to ready 30 pages) and do the 700 word essay as he is helping out at Open day tonight.
Why are teachers giving out essays for topics where it is hard to get hold of the relevant book and then to top it up give them just under a week to complete the 700 word essay.
I have told DS that next time he requires a book for homework to please tell me on the day.

Oh the joys of our children...
hermanmunster

Re: CRGS Yr 7 English Homework - Babylon's Ark

Post by hermanmunster »

Suspect you may find that there were some reference copies in the school library for the to use....
sohappymum

Post by sohappymum »

Hi
My son is in year 8 and we have the book if you wish to borrow it!

I am going up to open evening later so I could meet you !

Let me know

Sohappymum
sohappymum

Post by sohappymum »

Sorry having to leave now !

Will take it with me . My son is helping in PE so I will be there and wandering the school . I will have it in my hand !

Lol.

sohappymum
Zibar

Post by Zibar »

Hello sohappymum,
Thank you for bringing the book last night, that was really nice of you. Unfortunately, I have just seen your reply, so sorry to have missed you. Next time I post I will try and remember to click on notify when a response comes in! Luckily we did get hold of one. Yesterday he used the class copy to get started. Your kind offer has again confirmed that CRGS is a school full of wonderful boys from wonderful families.
Thank you.
carolben

Post by carolben »

Hi

My son too is in year 7 he assures me he didn't need a copy of the book as the homework was just to write a summary of the first 2 chapters that they have read through. Don't panic he has managed it from memory and unless he has it wrong (which of course is possible!!) your DS won't be alone which will give us time to send off for the book.....
Zibar

Post by Zibar »

Hello Carolben,

After quizzing DS again, it appears that he got bored in the lesson, switched off and therefore needed the book as a back up!!!
doods

Post by doods »

My son also did this homework and was advised it was to be done from memory his teacher didn't give them a copy because of this !!!

As you say - it would be nice for them to give us some warning, but boys will be boys.. I suspect in a couple of years they won't even let us know what homework they have !!!
:wink:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Warning does not improve - year 9 DS expected me to magically produce a new bar of soap for him to carve last week - the night before his art lesson - he was swiftly sent to the local shop to buy his own!