C/FordHSG GS a 'waste' of a preference? & C/ford to SHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Clarabelle

C/FordHSG GS a 'waste' of a preference? & C/ford to SHSG

Post by Clarabelle »

DD is sitting the 11+ next month & I am finding this dilemma of order of preference quite stressful.

We are in Chelmsford so it could be assumed that this would be our 1st preference. Attended the open evening & found it interesting & DD seemed happy. Also attended open school sessions at ColHSG & WHSG & again had a good feel for all of them.

However, 'realistically' we are certain that DD will not score highly enough to be given a Cford place. I really haven't got to grips with the scoring malarky. Last wkend she did a practice run with all of last years papers under exam conditions. She failed to finish any of the papers & time management has always been an issue for her. She has ADHD & finds concentration difficult. She scored 20/50 English, 24/40 Maths & 53/80 VR (we were surprised at this as always her strongest area). She is very anxious about the upcoming exam, doesn't like to talk about it at all.

We really want her to have the best opportunity for GS, SO the big question is should we not place CfordHSG as a preference instead placing putting them in this order: ColHSG, WHSG, SHSG & local comprehensive. Opinions welcome.

Finally, if we discard CfordHSG substituting SHSG do many girls travel from Chelmsford ? Or is WHSG the main choice of OC girls? DD is a bit of a loner so we are concerned about her 'fitting in' on the bus journey.

Thanks so much for any input given, am really finding this forum a fabulous source of information & have been reading & lurking for sometime.
Clarabelle
First-timer

Re: C/FordHSG GS a 'waste' of a preference? & C/ford to SHSG

Post by First-timer »

One bad mock does not mean all is lost. Please bear in mind that your DD did not sit an actual past paper in VR - they're not available. There is still enough time to improve scores between now and the exam.

That said, I expect you'd rather have some straight talking. If those scores are typical for your DD then I'd probably be inclined to leave the Chelmsford Grammar off the list and name the other three Grammars instead. They are all fantastic schools and you are lucky to be in a location where you can consider all of them.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
kaynor

Re: C/FordHSG GS a 'waste' of a preference? & C/ford to SHSG

Post by kaynor »

I agree with first timer.

English mark is not so bad as last years paper was difficult. A final push on the VR (remember 50% of marks!) and maths, focusing on DD weaker areas is the way to go.

I think you will find that once they make new friends, often with who they travel with, it is rarely a problem.

Keep cool and wish DD the very best of luck :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now