How many hours prep is everyone doing in the run up ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sargul

How many hours prep is everyone doing in the run up ?

Post by sargul »

I'm Worried my DD is not doing enough hours according to her tutoring group we just left!

They claim children are going to school and doing 4 to 5 hours a day at home, I am so concerned now!
kaynor

Re: How many hours prep is everyone doing in the run up ?

Post by kaynor »

That is crazy :shock:

It is not quantity it is about quality, if the workload is to intense it can harm the good preperation that's gone before.

At this late stage just focus on DD weaker areas. The VR & maths in particular and work through it systematically. It is very difficut to make any huge strides in english at this late stage. Remember they will not know everything when they sit the exam, they are not robots!

Do not panic, keep calm and everything in perspective. Ensure whatever DD is working on she understands and it is sticking.

Best of luck :)
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

That is absolutely ridiculous! How can any child possibly do that much revision! Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE my son to get into the Grammar School but am not prepared for it to take over his life! He is doing his homework V/R, one English paper and one Maths paper per week.
sargul

Post by sargul »

Thank god Im not going mad! well I am but not about refusing my child to do that much work!

I home school my dd so dont really get to see parents that are preparing for the test and most the children will go comprehensive any way as they are okish! not to me though!

The company actually wanted my child to do 8 to 10 hrs aday as she was home schooled however I rufused as she has her other lessons to learn! It came to the point where they refused to send her tutor as in their eyes she hadnt done enough! we have walked away from the company now! I did start to panic after though if i was right or wrong! as another tutor we contacted us said children where doing this amount! which caused me to pannic!

We have chosen a good comp just incase and had a big talk with daughter today to explain if she dont get in a grammer she hasnt failed just she cant compete against the children that go to private school and do 4-5 hrs 11+ prep at home! she seems a bit more easier! but I still feel like Im failing her!

She will still have tuition as I have dyslexia so cant teach her english and her maths is way too advanced for me too!

Thanks for your replies it has made me feel abit calmer that their are other out their that are doing less.

just curious on average how many hours does everyone think is ok just on 11+
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I would think that anything more than an hour a day would be a waste of time. DC doing 4/5 hours a day will be sick of the whole thing by the time the exam comes around. I'd be surprised if there was enough appropriate material to support such a regime anyway. When would they fit in all their other activities? The only exception I would make would be when running a few mocks in the weekends before the exam. I wouldn't have my DC doing any 11+ work on the day following a mock exam, either.
moved

Post by moved »

The most I would recommend would be a paper a day for those who enjoy the papers and at least one of each per week. However, DD probably did more if she could sneak it in when I wasn't looking!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now