Can I ask a really nosey question?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rhubarbcrumble

Can I ask a really nosey question?

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Out of interest and also because I'm a really nosey sod...what are your DC's levels at school?

My girl's school report in July at the end of year 5 and her last CATs put her at a 4a.

I was told by a few people in the past that if your child wasn't at level 5 by the time the 11+ arrives, they may not be at the level required to pass.
moved

Re: Can I ask a really nosey question?

Post by moved »

I have tutored pupils who were high 4s at the end of year 5 and have passed into CCHS with flying colours and gone on to be a huge success.

Don't worry!
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Evening Rhubardcrumble, for some reason I always feel hungry when I see as post from you :D
My DD end of year 5 report was; Reading 5C Writing 4A and Maths 5C, these were all Teacher Assessment Levels. I cant see anything referring to CAT results on her report so not sure if this is the sort of thing you were referring to.
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Evening Notley

Had some crumble earlier actually...lovely with cream lol!

My girl was a 4a all round apparently - yes, think you are right, that probably was the teacher's assessment, but not sure to be honest. They sat CAT's at school a few months ago which were sent off and marked and hers came back with a mean of 123.
Manana

Post by Manana »

rhubarbcrumble wrote:Out of interest and also because I'm a really nosey sod...what are your DC's levels at school?

My girl's school report in July at the end of year 5 and her last CATs put her at a 4a.

I was told by a few people in the past that if your child wasn't at level 5 by the time the 11+ arrives, they may not be at the level required to pass.
I wonder which of these areas most denotes an aptitude for the 11+. Would it be Reading and Maths? I'm not sure that being a 5 in writing is *terribly* important as Essex doesn't have essay to write, though obviously you would have a certain use of vocabulary that would be useful for VR if you were writing at a good level 5.

What do you think??
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Hi Teachermum

Yes, of course no essay writing for Essex....thank goodness tbh lol!!

I suppose, if anything, the VR (and non-VR, which of course we don't do) would probably be the most accurate indicator of a child's suitability for 11+ - suppose that's why it is also 50% of the mark. Because VR has maths and vocab and problem-solving kind of rolled into one, I think that is a generally good way to see how a child thinks and basically, well, yes, problem-solves!

If they have an aptitude for figuring things out - I suppose that it only follows quite naturally that they will (hopefully) have the means to figure out things elsewhere and use their logic as far as possible (as well as taught knowledge of course) when answering the English and Maths papers. However, the English of course relies heavily on vocab knowledge too which is hard if your child isn't really into reading.

I know that my girl has a very good brain in her head - I just hope that it has served her well on this occasion.... :)
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

By the way moved...thank you for your comment.

You have such a calming effect on my rather fraught nerves lol!... :)
onlyme

Post by onlyme »

Hi,
Hope this may help/reassure some...
2010 - My DS ended Yr 6 with a level in 5 maths & 4a English...
However he passed the 11+ with a score that placed him in the mid 50's at his choosen GS (KEG's).
He is loving school & thriving!
Just goes to show that DC don't necessarily need to achieve level 5 to secure a GS place.
HTH
dez

Post by dez »

My DD is currently in Year 5. Her end of year 4 report said she is 4a in reading, writing and maths. Although she is doing well, I think the most important thing is to keep challenging them what ever their level is and not to think that he or she is reaching a good enough level and relax. A child brain is like a sponge and always hungry for more information.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Hi,

For what it is worth I am not entirely convinced that the levels are a great indicator as my DD is at CCHS and she got a 4* in English, it has certainly never been a problem.

And conversely my DS is doing very well according to the levels yet school are not convinced he would get through his 11plus. He is in yr 4 so we are just monitoring the situation and trying to improve his vocab and reading.. then I will make a decision about preparing for 11plus, and certainly wont be swayed either way by school.

DJ