Over at last!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ahap

Re: Over at last!

Post by ahap »

Sep18 yes, it is hard not asking them, he is telling me to wait till February to find out when the papers come out. :evil: can't ask him any more he gives me this look every time I go and try to persuade him to tell me. I retreat when he gives me the look. My DD enjoys watching us. :lol:
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Were there any true/false questions in the English paper? Did they test knowledge of abstract nouns and the like? Was there a "stinker" type question at the end of the Maths paper? It's good to hear that the VR was straightforward, at least!
tanner

Post by tanner »

suffolkmum wrote:my dd found the maths paper quite tricky. she told me that the format had changed and there were atleast 2 - 3 questions that have never come before in past papers or practice papers - there were 3 questions on nets of dice, and finding the area & perimeter of a shape where only the coordinates of the points were given.
has anyone else heard the same from their dc ?
my dd said exactly the same about maths paper.some of the questions she had never come across before ,although tried to answer as best as she could.vr was alot easier than the Walsh papers.english was o.k with punctuation(umm....i think it was )worth 12 marks.
some girls from dd's school found english equally hard as maths.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Yes there had been a 'stinker' question as you put it and it was the last question in the maths paper, he did not tell me what is was yet....
He said there were no true/ false questions. I have to ask about the grammar type of questions though.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
suffolkmum

Post by suffolkmum »

the 'stinker' question was the one where you had to find the area & perimeter of a shape where only the coordinates of the points were given. it had 3 sub sections - so quite a lot of marks I guess.
tanner

Post by tanner »

yep!there were grammar questions in the english paper;abstract noun,concrete noun etc.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I remember him mentioning the dice question or playing cards type of question which he found very tricky and the 'stinker'. Does anyone know the total marks was for maths?
colchesterdad39

Post by colchesterdad39 »

Hello all, My DS has told me that the maths question he found hard was the "dice" question and from talking to other DC on the day he thought they all struggled with that. The English paper he said was about a "ghost" of someone who had died during World war 2 and then returned to present day, he worked out that comprehension, spelling etc made up 24 marks so nearly half the total ( something his tutor had taught him) so made sure he did that first and found the rest fine.
He answered all the VR questions and was really pleased with himself.
My hope was that he would do himself justice and come out happy, and he has so thats all any parent could want.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Agree colchesterdad,
looks like 'dice' or cards had been on both days?
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

I am definitely going to question DS when he comes home from school today. The temptation is far too great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the prompts everyone ...... will let you know how I get on!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now