Over at last!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
colchesterdad39

Re: Over at last!

Post by colchesterdad39 »

Don't get too disappointed yet! I know and have read on this forum of children who had not finished papers and were convinced that they had not done well only to get their first choice school. Also equally children have thought they did very well but maybe didnt do as well as they thought. Don't try to second guess the results, just wait for the day and be proud of your kids for even putting themselves through this process
moved

Post by moved »

It didn't even occur to me that DD would make CCHS, when the results came through, she was disappointed because we had spent so long convincing her that our second choice was better!
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

My DS didn't complete VR, or the co-ordinates question on the maths paper and guessed one question on the English paper. I have no idea how he will do and have been looking at previous years scores to try to guess the lowest score he will need to get into GS. Have given up guessing now as it is driving me mad. I agree with Colchester Dad - don't give up and wait for the results.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

colchesterdad39 wrote:Don't get too disappointed yet! I know and have read on this forum of children who had not finished papers and were convinced that they had not done well only to get their first choice school. Also equally children have thought they did very well but maybe didnt do as well as they thought. Don't try to second guess the results, just wait for the day and be proud of your kids for even putting themselves through this process
Couldn't agree more. When my DS came out of the exam a couple of years ago, he said he couldn't answer the first two questions of the English paper. Thankfully he didn't lose his confidence especially as this was definitely not the started he would have wished for. He said he didn't think he had done very well so we prepared for our next choice of school and were fully committed to him going there instead. At the end of the day he tried his best and I was very proud of him.

Having convinced myself and him that he was going to a different school (based on what he had told me) it was an unbelievable moment when I opened our letter and he got his first choice of grammar school.

So to everyone feeling anxious about the results, your children have tried their best and that's all anyone can ask for. I will be thinking of you all next March. :)
moved

Post by moved »

DD did badly in the English paper, her strongest subject, but not badly enough to stop her from getting a place.

I would recommend a February holiday, days out, etc. for the half-term, otherwise you will be climbing the walls.
nini

Post by nini »

Thank you everyone for your support. During the past year my DD has worked extra, extra hard totally unprompted because she wanted to have a chance of getting into Chelmsford. I am soo proud of her! I just wish I knew how to protect her from being hugely disappointed even though I know that disappointment is part of life. A friend of mine, who is a child psychiatrist, always says that the 11+ is a form of child abuse....lol!! I am beginning to wonder if he is right!
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

nini wrote: A friend of mine, who is a child psychiatrist, always says that the 11+ is a form of child abuse....lol!! I am beginning to wonder if he is right!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are plenty of guilty parents on here!!!
colchesterdad39

Post by colchesterdad39 »

Nini, I like you and every other parent on here worry about the exam and results day. But as parents all we can do is prepare our children as best we can and give them all the support they need if things don't quite work out how they hoped. However I'm also sure that like my son your DC will do well whatever school they happen to go to and that this whole experience will only make them better prepared for what lies ahead.
Remember you still might get the result you hoped for and if not just be there with a hug- its in our job description as parents!
nini

Post by nini »

Thanks Colchester dad!

You are right. I have already told my DD that she will do very well wherever she goes as she has has a very positive attitude towards work. I will be back in the forum in March posting news. :? Good luck to everyone in the forum.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now