KEGS consulting on a priority admissions area for 2013/14

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
laluna

Re: KEGS consulting on a priority admissions area for 2013/1

Post by laluna »

Interesting. What impact, if any, do people think this will have on admissions for Colchester? Will they follow suit or could competition for their admissions increase?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I'm not sure that adds up. 80% in area, 10% music (possibly in area) and the remaining 10% open to everyone (presumably some of these could also be in area if the scores are right). That leaves fewer than 20 places for out of area non-musicians. This is pretty devastating news for parents who had set their sights on Chelmsford schools and who find themselves out of area.

Yes, my DD's chances of a Chelmsford place would increase (and obviously I'm pleased about that) but Colchester would be my first choice for logistical reasons and I'm now wondering if DD will end up being out of area for ColCHS. I'd rather my DC were heading in the same direction each day. On the plus side, I've not had a parentmail from CRGS on the subject so I'm hoping only the Chelmsford schools have co-ordinated a change to their admission arrangements.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

You are safe there. It seems as if there is a large number going to Chelmsford from London, hence the review.

There will be winners and there will be losers and there may be movers.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

laluna wrote:Interesting. What impact, if any, do people think this will have on admissions for Colchester? Will they follow suit or could competition for their admissions increase?
I'm not sure that it would increase competition for Colchester places by very much. If you look at the places outside the Chelmsford priority area, most would already be Colchester bound (to the north west of the area) or too far away to get to Colchester (south of the priority area).
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Do you have other options, Hopefuldad?
ahap

Post by ahap »

So in short

Only CRGS and ColCHS which will be without a catchment area. However I think Colchester has fewer local children travelling to Southend Schools compared to Chelmsford.

Ilford has a catchment area and do take students only from those areas 100% is that correct?

Chelmsford boys has a catchment but only for 80% the rest music ability and out of catchment DCs.
Chelmsford girls 80% catchment 20% out of catchment.

Southend and Westcliffe gives priority to their primary school students with a cut out marks and the rest they take from out of catchment with a higher cut out marks.

So Every academically bright DCs gets a place in their local Grammar according to their merit, or to their second choice. which will probably be Chelmsford, Colchester, Southend, or Westcliffe.

But my DS has already done his 11+ test. :(
DD next year will be in the priority area.

Has it been finalised?
Last edited by ahap on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Refreshing to see, moving away from selection by pure academic achievement only on the day.

Pure speculation.....perhaps they have also realised the soul of the school could be effected as pupils from to far away are less likely to be able to take part in after school clubs, sport matches etc. It must also have had implications for the PTA/Parents Association as it not so easy for parents from further away to support the school as much.

They mention it was okay before 2009, wonder if it had something to do with the recession (less going to private) or did they make changes to the selection procedures elsewhere e.g. London?
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

Yes, they have realised that the soul of the school is affected. The CHS letter states that 'Students facing such prolonged travel are often to unable to participate as much as they or we would like in the extra-curricular activities which form a vital part of rounded education at CHS.'
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Looks like an announcement re the changes will be made in March. That'll get the tongues wagging in the playground! If the exam is brought forward, priority areas are brought in and scores are known before completing the CAF we are going to find it tricky to gauge our DC's chances. All we need now is to throw age standardisation into the mix!
HPDad

Post by HPDad »

Funny enough, as part of my trawling for the 11+ date, I came across a report on the Southend Council website dated November 2011 regarding the new Admissions Code which stated:
Officers are of the view that testing before application would require the moving forward of the 11+ test date, and discussions will take place with the Consortium of Secondary Schools in Essex (CSSE), who arrange and mark the tests, on the precise details. An earlier test date in say mid to late September rather than mid November may mean that parents have to register for the test at the end of year 5. The CSSE may also have to consider re-introducing age adjustment into the test as pupils will be slightly younger when taking the test.
The potential for age adjustment is being thought about!