Essex exam date for admission 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Re: Essex exam date for admission 2013

Post by Minesatea »

Maturity is a difficult thing to quantify and affected by things other than actual age such as personality, family birth order, parenting style etc. My eldest DS (spring born) I had no concerns over maturity wise to sit the 11plus, but my youngest (the oldest in his year at primary school) is going to need to mature significantly before his turn! :(

Lots of younger children do get into the Essex grammar schools despite the lack of age standardisation, we have had plenty of summer parties! DD has a friend who's birthday is the 31st August so definitely the baby of the year.

Good luck
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

I remember one of the forum members last year was convinced DS woud not pass because he had a nightmare in the English (he was not the only one!) and was very young, he ended up with a place at KEGS :D You just can't tell!

Any ideas on how this is going to work? Are they going to give last years cut off marks for all the GSs you may be considering? e.g. CCHS 360, WHSG 335, SHSG 330 for comparison with your DD score? For Southend locals it will be simple.....303 and above. Will they give an indication you may have a chance on a waiting list with a score achieved of say 329.36, might also still get you a place at SHSG? :?

If they are not careful this could end up more confusing than it helping. Can they not just produce the results like they always do? They will standardise anyway so can they not rank as usual, which would just leave the waiting list scenario to sort out, as it always is anyway. Or am I missing something :roll:
ahap

Post by ahap »

I just spoke to my cousin in Kent. The way they do there is this.

They sit their 11+ in September, they get their results in October which tells them whether they are eligible for a GS, then they apply to their preferred Grammar schools and the schools take the top 25%. However it is quite different from Essex when it comes to the eligibility, because a DC might get an overall higher mark from the cut out mark but if the DC get a lower mark than the cut out mark in one of the subjects, the DC wont be eligible for a GS, however because the DC got a higher mark that the overall cut out mark, they can apply for a GS and appeal.

In Essex it is quite straight forward. From what I understand, we can apply to all Grammars since we can apply to 6 schools and we would get the schools as per our preference. Therefore even if our DCs get a lower mark than the cut out marks, we can still apply to our preferred GS and if our DCs are lower or in the borderline it will still be this waiting for March to find out experience -will be there. However if our DCs get a very high mark that the GSs cut out mark we can be quite sure of a place. That is the only difference, other than that, it is the same process but this time we would know the results before we apply. Am I right?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

They cannot rank as previous years at the point you are sent your result because this rank was per school eg rank 100 for CRGS, 185 for KEGS because you wont have applied for the schools yet. I guess they could rank two lists all boys and all girls but knowing your child came eg. 180 may still not be helpful as you won't know which school the children above them are interested in.
moved

Post by moved »

I hope they will give rank and score that way parents will be fully informed.

Has the number of choices changed to 6 now?
ahap

Post by ahap »

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schoo ... 013-14.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they may change it to 6.

4. Key Features of the Scheme

4.1 A common application form printed in the Secondary Education in Essex booklet and available online, enabling parents to apply for up to six schools in preference order.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
moved

Post by moved »

Good, it has been totally unfair for years with Redbridge having 6, Southend 5 and the poor Essex residents only having 4!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now