Level six SATS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Level six SATS

Post by Guest55 »

Why not just say you'd prefer him not to take the paper and to do enrichment activities instead?

You do have a choice and if he is worrying about the papers (which are in addition to the others) then I would seriously consider saying 'No thanks'.
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Thanks, that comment definitely helps as I was not aware that my child would be sitting both and was also not aware that saying no was an option. :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

It's not so easy to say no though. My DS is not anxious about it but has decided it is a bit of a compliment to be asked to do the level 6 paper. He doesn't want me to say he shouldn't do it; additionally I am quite friendly with his teacher so that makes it worse. IMHO the schools shouldn't be doing this but when they are judged on results and league tables the temptation is just too great.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They have to sit the 'normal' papers one week then the additional two papers in the following week.

As I said someone did find the 2011 papers online - try the search above - it may have been in the KS2 folder.
Amber

Post by Amber »

And sorry if I made you feel you shouldn't have asked...it's a bit of a pet subject of mine as both teacher and parent, but that's not your fault. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is the post:

"I just wanted to say that, after significant hours of surfing, I have found the 2011 KS2 Level 6 past papers in Maths and English - they're all here. http://www.freepastpapers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

I can only echo Amber's comments but a lot of Secondary Maths teachers are not impressed that these papers were introduced without any consultation with the academic community.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

hhm. tricky one if your child has asked to practise, but i would be tempted to encourage him not to worry and just chill out for a while. After the 11 plus stress they deserve to take the foot off the pedal
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Thanks Guest 55, if only that was all that was required to get a "real" level 6, life would be so easy, lol. your help is much appreciated. :D
moved

Post by moved »

Prior to becoming distracted by exam writing I wanted to say that you should be able to find the investigations for maths that were given to more able children.

This is a link to them, including what a teacher should look for to indicate level 6 thinking.

http://www.devonldp.org/do_download.asp?did=8216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of my favourite resources, lots of fun puzzles, all nice and short.

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/files_u ... lesall.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maria001

Post by Maria001 »

I have also had a letter suggesting that dd is entered for Optional level 6 maths in year 6. Is anyone certain if this would be instead of level 3-5 or in addition to? I have read all the threads and it is being suggested that it is -in addition to- but, I would just like clarification.

P.S. please don't berate me for considering it :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now