School preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
buttons

School preferences

Post by buttons »

We are out of county for Essex and dont know much about the area. My DD wrote 11 plus test in Nov 2011 and we have named Chelmsford county girls school as our first preference. We haven't named any other Grammar school in our CAF. Now on hindsight I feel I should have named Colchester girls school as our second preference. In case my DD doesn't get offer for Chelmsford but gets required score for Colchester, can I make a late application? Can someone please enlighten me on the right preocedure? Thanks
dutchy005

Re: School preferences

Post by dutchy005 »

This has changed for this year as Essex CC lost an appeal to the school adjudicator last year over the issue of how they process late applications. I would contact Essex County Council admissions now and ask if you can make a late application immediately.

In the past Southend Admissions accepted late admissions to the grammars, obtained your results from the CSSE and then slotted your DC into the appropriate place on the waiting list, which for most applicants was above those on the list. Essex, in contrast put all late applicants regardless of score to the bottom of the waiting list below those who had named the school on the CAF form. It is this which must change this year so no-one has seen it in action yet.
Minesatea

Re: School preferences

Post by Minesatea »

The offical policy from Essex CC is:
Applications received after the published closing date will be treated as late applications unless there is evidence or you provide evidence to show that the application could not reasonably have been made on time. A new preference or change in the order of preferences will not be accepted after the closing date unless the circumstances are deemed to be exceptional. Late applications will be given a lower priority and will be dealt with after all on time applications in the first round of offers on 1 March 2012. Where a school is oversubscribed late applications will be refused and ranked according to the admission criteria on any waiting list held for the particular school. All late applications will be considered by an LA panel of officers to ascertain whether exceptional circumstances for late submission exist. Where that is deemed to be the case the application will be treated as ‘on time’.
Where a school is oversubscribed late applications received after the first round of offers on 1 March 2012 will be refused and ranked according to the admission criteria on a waiting list held for the particular school.
However as you live out of Essex you have presumably applied via your local CC so any change of priority at this stage would need to be done via them rather than ECC.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now