SHSG - Admissions Criteria - Jeez what next !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

panichead

SHSG - Admissions Criteria - Jeez what next !

Post by panichead »

Hi, sure most of you are aware that the four grammars in Southend are undergoing changes to their admissions Policy. Just wondered what other thoughts are. I have a dd at SHSG in Y8 and a dd in Y5 due to sit test in September. Just getting over the shock of this and they hit us with the new priority catchment area.

Having been one of the fortune ones whose children attended a southend primary feeders schools to SHSG I am super nervous now of my dd's chances as the priorty area is going to be huge.

There is a meeting at SHSB on Tuesday 21 Feb which I intend to go to as well as one at my dd's primary on 22nd Feb.

I appreciate that changes need to come, but so swiftly - feel like I have been hit with a sledgehammer.

Just think it very unfair to do this so late in the game.

Anyway, if anyone is feeling as depressed as I am right now, do reply!
Manana

Re: SHSG - Admissions Criteria - Jeez what next !

Post by Manana »

I agree; I feel like we are really being 'got at' and it's horrible being the trial year as you don't know the impact it's going to have on the admissions. I hate the fact that both changes been thrown at us so late in the day-why couldn't they be applicable from next year to give people a chance to prepare or even move! We live in catchment for a less than desirable comprehensive; had this been on the cards, possibly we could have moved.

The documentation I've read mentions how they don't think this will affect the number of Southend boys/girls getting in, but they don't seem to have taken into account how many more people from the *new* priority area will now bother to sit the 11+. I know several people with children at Rochford and Rayleigh schools who weren't going to bother (as they had to score higher marks to get in) but have now changed their minds and their children will be taking the 11+; these can't be isolated cases. It annoys me because a lot of these new areas already have brilliant catchment schools, so they are offered a level playing field of the Southend grammars with us, but have a great catchment school as a safety net anyway. We just don't have that option.

With the Chelmsford grammars changing their catchment to a 12 1/2 mile radius-some of the Rayleigh etc schools will be in catchment for those as well as the Southend schools. I feel it's so unfair.

DH will be going to the meeting-he's furious, but thinks it's a bit of a done deal.

I wonder what average mark our children will need to pass now??
panichead

Post by panichead »

It's just so unfair! My dd probably would have a fair chance if it was November and the old rules applied. Now I don't think she can do it. How they can say it won't impact on the primary schools is beyond me! Of course it will! Parents in the new catchment will obviously let their dd's have a go. Why shouldn't they after all.

I agree too that it's seems a done deal. It's a huge disappointment for all. I guess I will have to accept that my dd's will not be walking together to senior Sch. They will be walking in different directions. 
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

The documentation I've read mentions how they don't think this will affect the number of Southend boys/girls getting in, but they don't seem to have taken into account how many more people from the *new* priority area will now bother to sit the 11+. I know several people with children at Rochford and Rayleigh schools who weren't going to bother (as they had to score higher marks to get in) but have now changed their minds and their children will be taking the 11+; these can't be isolated cases. It annoys me because a lot of these new areas already have brilliant catchment schools, so they are offered a level playing field of the Southend grammars with us, but have a great catchment school as a safety net anyway. We just don't have that option.
So you're saying you can only sit the 11+ if your local comprehensive is not good enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really amazed with that statement and certainly do not agree with it .
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I hate the fact that both changes been thrown at us so late in the day-why couldn't they be applicable from next year to give people a chance to prepare or even move!
The changes are in response to a govenment document The School Admissions and Appeals Codes which came into force on 3rd Feb. These changes must be in place for the 2013/2014 academic year, the schools cannot delay the changes.

The pass mark for in catchment for Southend has always been 303, they are saying this should not change so it shouldn't be any different to previous years for those in catchment, it will just be much harder for out of catchment children to get places. Yes more in-catchment children will sit the exam, but in the past there has never been enough in-catchment children pass which is why so many out of catchment have got places, especially at Westcliff. I think out of catchment will be the losers not in-catchment.
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Minesatea, do you think this will be introduced across the whole of Essex? CRGS in particular.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I don't know.

Southend is a different situation to Chelmsford and Colchester. Firstly they have apparently been told their current admission policy isn't allowed so must change whereas Chelmsford are doing this by choice. Secondly Southend is a separate LEA which is considered to be a 2 tier system. There is a thread going on the Surrey forum regarding the Tiffin schools and a group of parents trying to get a catchment area there. It has been stated on there, by someone whom I'm guessing is staff, that Grammar schools in LEA's considered to be single tier (not sure of the definition here) are not allowed to apply a catchment area. He/she is quoting a Judicial Review in Kingston in 1992 when they tried to bring in a catchment area before. Does this apply to Essex??????

I have not heard any rumours re CRGS/ ColCHS - If I were them I would do nothing for a couple of years and see what happens!
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Thanks for taking the time to reply Minesatea. It would be too late for my DS as we are awaiting his results for Sept entrance. However, I do have a younger DD and we would definitely benefit if changes were to happen in the near future for CCHS. Just curious. x
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes, my youngest may benefit in the future from a catchment area as well!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

anxiousanna wrote:Minesatea, do you think this will be introduced across the whole of Essex? CRGS in particular.
The headmaster of CRGS was recently quoted in our local paper as saying that the school has no intention of imposing an admissions area. Obviously, I can't say that this is what he actually said for sure because we all know what reporters are like at times!

I don't know anything about the girls' grammar in Colchester.

I actually don't think anything will change in Colchester. If it does, it won't be for a while yet and, with so many other possible changes elsewhere in the county, they may just want to see how it all works out first.

Are all these changes just coincidence or could they be as a result of more grammars becoming academies now? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.