Lessons learned from the 2012 exam session.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

teri

Re: Lessons learned from the 2012 exam session.

Post by teri »

With my DS, I suggested gs quite early in KS2. I got (and read) all the Bond 'how to' books, to see for myself what he needed to do. In Year 5, we visited SHSB and WHSB and he decided he liked WHSB. He then did a couple of practice papers (maths I think, his strongest subject) and got on OK. When I registered with the CSSE I purchased the full revision pack. We went through each paper after he completed it, using the Bond 'how to' books to support my explanations of questions he got wrong. With the VR papers, there were a couple of question types that we couldn't seem to find the logic in, even with the book to help us. As speed isn't his strong point, I told him to skip the hard questions and come back to them at the end if he had time. I then told him that he should guess any unanswered questions at the end, as it is multiple choice. He followed my advice but only scored 42/80.

He has been offered a place at a good state secondary, where his brother goes. If I wasn't confident that he will still do well there, I would have concentrated more on the VR. His maths and english scores (32/40 and 25/50) are all his own effort. He struggled a bit with the longer answered questions on the English papers, so I told him to concentrate on the short answered questions first, then do the others.
Jodo

Post by Jodo »

We sent our DD to a private tutor as her primary school did not support 11+ in any way, and actually tried to discourage DD from entering. The tutor was recommended by another parent.

DD attended 1 hour tutor's lessons weekly, with some 2 hour sessions on Saturdays and 3 mock exams (with a couple of gaps for holidays etc.) from March 2011-Nov 2011 (so quite late in yr 5). DD had set her heart on a GS since the age of about 8. She gave up TV, we set aside a table for her to do the work in peace, and she completed practice papers set by the tutor most days, including school holidays. Still attended some after-school clubs, and her swimming club. She actually enjoyed the work. Now ecstatic that has a place at WHSG! As we had not been able to afford private primary education, the investment in tutoring including transport costs was really worthwhile.
event1

Post by event1 »

Hello everyone, I have learnt that preparation is vital for any success in life, it might be painful but it is for a short while. DD attends a state school but neighbour's children attends fee paying primary school and one of her children in GS.She introduced the 11+to us and supported us in tutoring DD for 2 hrs on Saturdays. She also recommended useful books and gave loads of resources that I photocopied. You would want to live near my God sent neighbour :D . She was really pleased with DD offer. We only gave her token every week as appreciation. She has the experience and training to be a teacher, she does not want to see our DD in the local comp.
Last edited by event1 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olu

Post by olu »

I find this thread very interesting and a eye opener. My DD went to a state primary school because we couldnt afford private primary sch for all 3.Two more to go. She is of average ability, striving very well at sch in english but maths was her weakest. We heard about the 11+ when she was in Yr 4 and decided to get it a try. There is nothing wrong in trying to get the best possible education for your child. She was tutored once a week, for 2hrs on sat by a recommended tutor and she did all her activities which includes swimming twice a week, dancing, drama ,brownies and lots of Tv( I emphatise). During the week she also works on her homework from tutoring and sch hmwork. In short, she had a balanced life doing her stuff and preparing herself for this once in a life time opportunities. I CAN PROUDLY STATE THAT SHE GOT OFFERED A PLACE IN SGHS and DD is the only one from her sch going to GS. Dd also got offered an Indie sch but again the fees was not affordable( miised out on bursary).

Lessons learnt.

I would do it again for my other 2.

I would use the same strategy....................making sure the kids enjoy their activities as well as the 11+ prepraration.

I would pay for private tutor.....................am a working mum,i cant spare loads of time coaching due to other commitments(housewrk, job n of course Hubby).

Goodluck to all first timers, dont be discouraged and aim high( if we cant afford Indie's, Gs is the next alternative).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now