Should I be worried?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crgsmum

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by crgsmum »

One of my sons got in on waiting list and was consistently in top quartile of form and year group (they tell you this on report). Also one of the cleverest boys in year 8, a member of the spelling bee team and, anecdotally, definitely in top 10% didn't get his place until the end of first week of year 7.

I also remember someone writing on here that at one of KEGS' open days they asked the deputy head this question, i.e. if their son were to scrape in would it be better to reject the place. His response was that they actually monitor it and there was no correlation between 11plus ranking and outcome at 16. I don't know where this is but it struck a cord and I have quoted it to lots of other concerned parents.

All the 11plus does is measure how they did on a particular day with a particular test. Your son has earned this place take this wonderful opportunity for him, he will have a wonderful time and find his real level which will vary from subject to subject anyway.

Congratulations and a big pat on the back to him.
chanceinnorfolk

Post by chanceinnorfolk »

Hello sep 18.......my son is currently in yr 7 at CRGS after "GAINING THE REQUIRED SCORE TO SECURE A PLACE AT THE SCHOOL" (not scrapping in, although it was a close shave.......phew!!!!).

I had the anxious thoughts of will he be able to keep up, and I am happy to report I was being rediculous. My son is thriving.

The school is wonderful. It caters for all. Excellent sports, music, academic clubs. Your son will find something to get his teeth into. They even allowed the boys (that wanted to) to have an almighty snow ball fight last month vs the 6th formers. So no molly coddling going on!!!

You and your son should enjoy and celebrate what he has achived and look forward to a challenging and fulfilling next stage in his life.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Thank you CRGSmum and chanceinnorfolk.

It is humbling to know that I have no reason to doubt that he will do well. Thank you both for sharing your thoughts with me.

I feel silly for having the doubts that I did but was allowing a nasty seed that had been planted in my brain to start growing. Thankfully the forum posts have allowed me to kill it with some weedkiller, so I thank you all. :lol: :lol:
Tick Tock!!

Post by Tick Tock!! »

SEP18 wrote:My DS is worried because he was placed 115 and has got a place at CRGS.

Talking to a mother at school yesterday, she said she was glad her DS did not get a place because she didn't want him to just scrape through and then struggle.

Like lots of others, in practise papers, my DS was scoring over 90% in the VR papers but only managed 76% in the actual test.

I think he will be fine but have I got it wrong?

I do not wish to sound ungrateful because I know there are others who would love to be in my position, and I do not wish to upset anyone.

Hi firstly well done to your son. The 11+ this just a snap shot of one day therefore there is no way you should be worrying about your son scraping through. I believe when you go for the first parents meeting you are told that there is very little between the first and the last one in. In fact I know a lad who was one of the last in and has sat very comfortably near the top ever since. People who say such things are just jealous, wonder if she would be saying the same if her son was in this position. Well done to your son don't worry enjoy!
:D :D
KB

Post by KB »

DS only just made the cut - went through the school as a star pupil in many ways and then on to Cambridge.

My own opinion is that the boys should not be told their position - of no use to anyone.

Am sure he will have a ball :)
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

KB wrote:DS only just made the cut - went through the school as a star pupil in many ways and then on to Cambridge.

My own opinion is that the boys should not be told their position - of no use to anyone.

Am sure he will have a ball :)
Thank you KB. I am so not worried anymore. :D :D :D :D :D
arsen

Post by arsen »

It's really is unecessary to worry about ranks when DS/DDs have secured places after being up against hundreds and hundreds of other applicants! And as one other parent has mentioned, the difference between a high rank and a low rank can be as little as a few incorrectly answered questions across all three papers, which considering nerves, environment, disturbances, short term wondering of concentration (happens with my DS a lot and suspect common with 10/11 yr olds!), correctly working out an answer and writing down another (again happens with my Ds a lot!) is quite possible. In addition, the final score allocated goes to three decimal places too, so you can imagine how when ranked there could be many DCs positioned between one whole number and the next!!!

The ranks will dissolve in to an insignificant statistic after some time, as they all excel in their own individual way at their new schools.

Well done to them all.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

KB wrote:My own opinion is that the boys should not be told their position - of no use to anyone.
I totally agree. I never told my sons their ranking or their mark and they never asked about them. They were so pleased to have got the school of their choice, I don't think it occurred to them. I am sure your DC will do very well. :D
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Fran17 wrote:
KB wrote:My own opinion is that the boys should not be told their position - of no use to anyone.
I totally agree. I never told my sons their ranking or their mark and they never asked about them. They were so pleased to have got the school of their choice, I don't think it occurred to them. I am sure your DC will do very well. :D
Thank you Fran17. :) In hindsight, I too wish that I had not told either of my sons. I have though decided not to tell anyone (apart from DH :D ). My DS's teacher even asked him!!! People are just too nosey sometimes!! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now