CHELMSFORD CHS Versus WESTCLIFF HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SRSS

Re: CHELMSFORD CHS Versus WESTCLIFF HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Post by SRSS »

Thank you one and all for all the good advice.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

You also need to consider how your daughter will travel to school. Reading your previous posts your dd has already been offered WHSG & on the waiting list for CCHS. You mentioned you live in Surrey and obviously there isn't going to be any contract coaches from there. CCHS is short walking distance from rail station but the service on this line is not good with the contract just been given to a new company so lots of changes going on ie reduced carriages etc. The walk from the rail station to WHSG is around a mile.
Clarabelle
SRSS

Post by SRSS »

Thanks for all the info, Clarabelle. We are planning to move to Essex by Sep. We don't want our DD to travel such a long distance every single day. Once we move to Westcliff, we can't move to Chelmsford even if she's offered a place at CCHS. So, before moving we wanted to make sure that we are taking a right decision.
RGA

Post by RGA »

I have read that the schools may be doing open days in the summer term this year, so that will give you a chance to do them before you move.

We found that doing the open days did really make some decisions clear. We were expecting to be impressed by Chelmsford as people talk of it almost with hushed reverence. We would have liked to prefer it because it's logistically the most convenient. (We are also going to be moving, but Chelmsford would be quite convenient for all of us.) However after the open day my husband and I both had a very strong feeling that we wouldn't want our daughter to go there so don't think we are even going to put on our list. Of course other people love the school. We liked Westcliff and Colchester equally although they were quite different.

There are some areas that are in both catchment areas (Chelmsford and Southend) – around Rayleigh, I believe. Have a look at the old threads about Southend and Chelmsford changing their catchment areas. I can't comment on the quality of the train service but a lot of people do commute to London from there.
SRSS

Post by SRSS »

That's a very useful info, RGA. Thanks.
Jodo

Post by Jodo »

All the Essex Grammar Schools are good so the best advice is to visit them, and your DC will get a "feel" for which one is the right one. Visits are being held in the summer term. Bear in mind that Chelmsford is introducing a "catchment area" of a 12.5 m radius (not sure when) as it is recognised that excessively long commutes to school are not good for the pupils. My DD could have in theory attended 3 of the grammar schools but due to distance put down 2 and got her first choice. We never even bothered to visit a school too far away - no point. Apart from the travel to school, there is also the consideration "What if my DD feels unwell and I have to go and get her?" and the sleepovers & social visits.
Hope your move to Essex goes well!
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

I thought I would speak up for Chelmsford County High as it seems to be getting bad press here. Both my DD's go there and both have a very different attitude to work One is laid back, and the other is keen to get on with whatever work she's set - but they both love it there. They are accepted as they are and do not feel pushed to work harder.

The pastoral care is wonderful, just as I am certain it is at WHSG.

We thought CCHS and Westcliff were both great, but put CCHS first as it's easier to get to and we have a relative living down the road from the school who could pick them up at short notice if necessary. No snobbery involved!

The best open evening to go to for CCHS is the second one as it is much quieter and relaxed. Most people seem to attend the first one, so it feels very crowded and squashed.
moved

Post by moved »

My experience of CCHS has been excellent. Great pastoral care, cool to clever, just enough pressure to keep the girls motivated. Not all grammars are the same, check which one suits you.
toolate

Post by toolate »

I am interested by references on this post to seeing the schools on 'normal days' - I hadn't realised that was allowed. I thought that the official Open evenings were the only opportunity we got. Do I just ask the school for a date?

Thanks
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

My DD was on a school residential trip when the WHSG open evening took place. However they also had 1 (or 2) mornings, where you could book a tour place with the school. Although we went to the open evening without DD (younger DS wasn't too impressed about being taken along!) I felt we got more of a feel for the school when I took DD on the morning tour. It was much quieter, we had a very helpful tour guide and were able to visit classes in progress.
Not sure what will be happening this year as I notice the open evening has been moved to the summer term. Office staff at WHSG always very helpful though, so would be worth phoning after the hols.