What resources would be best to help for the English paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Re: What resources would be best to help for the English pap

Post by Manana »

CardyMow wrote:So far for reading over the holidays, he has read Edward Lear's complete nonsense poems, Treasure Island, The Phoenix and the Carpet, and has started on 20,000 Leauges under the sea. He has Oliver Twist on his 'want to read' list.

He has read the Hobbit and all 3 Lord of the Rings books in the past, all of the Harry Potter books, he has tried Michael Morpurgo but doesn't like his writing style (!), and a lot of other things.

It's speed that is the issue, I'm finding, he can be speedy or accurate when answering questions, but not both at once!
Sounds like he's a very competent reader if he's enjoyed those. My DS got fed up with listening to The Hobbit as an mp3! I found 20,000 Leagues under the Sea a bit dry as well.

I think you're doing the right thing exposing him to as many different styles as possible. Has poetry ever come up, I wonder?? I think last year's text was written specifically for the test rather than being an extract (though correct me if I'm wrong), I wonder if they'll do the same this year or if they'll go back to something more antiquated-Austen perhaps!?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

RDR, What web sites are you using to get the classic texts? I am writing English mocks at the moment and have found Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Tom Sawyer and The Secret Garden easily enough, but can't find Heidi, Cider with Rose by Laurie Lee, A Little Princess or What Katy did. I have written all the questions ready but I am going to have to type the text out myself if I can't find it online. Thanks for any tips. DG
RDR

Post by RDR »

Daogroupie wrote:RDR, What web sites are you using to get the classic texts? I am writing English mocks at the moment and have found Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Tom Sawyer and The Secret Garden easily enough, but can't find Heidi, Cider with Rose by Laurie Lee, A Little Princess or What Katy did. I have written all the questions ready but I am going to have to type the text out myself if I can't find it online. Thanks for any tips. DG
Mainly manybooks.net - they have books in rtf format which are much easier to work with. Cider with Rosie will still be in copyright so it will not be on reputable sites. A little princess is here. some others I have scanned and OCRed.

Are you interested in swapping some papers?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

RDR, I have written six mocks, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Tom Sawyer and the Railway Children. I have four more to write which will probably be Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Heidi and Jane Eyre or possibly Hard Times. I wrote some questions for a Cider with Rosie passage but will have to type it in at some point when I have more time as I cant find it online. They are comprehensions with a creative writing follow on story written as Dame Alice Owen's mocks. I would be very happy to swop as the process has been amazingly time consuming. What do you have? DG
RDR

Post by RDR »

Sorry been on holiday - I have the following:
Jane Eyre
First world war poems
The Mayor of Casterbridge
Daniel Defoe easterrn counties
Middlemarch
sherlock Holmes - the adventures of the copper beeches
MacBeth - the three witches
Hard times