Increase in places at Colchester Girls High for 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

laluna

Increase in places at Colchester Girls High for 2013

Post by laluna »

Just wondered whether anyone had any more information or thoughts on the possibility of this? The admissions policy for 2013 states that the number of places may rise to 140, subject to Governing Body approval. Sorry I can't post the link from my phone. An interesting and positive prospect, particularly as I am inclined to anticipate greater competition in view of the catchment restrictions in Chelmsford.
First-timer

Re: Increase in places at Colchester Girls High for 2013

Post by First-timer »

http://www.colchestergirls.essex.sch.uk ... 013-14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not heard anything but hopefully that's the link .
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I don't know anything else I'm afraid but as they currently have 4 classes of 28 it looks like they are considering a fifth class.

It should help the parents of girls but would further increase the discrepancy in mark required to get a grammar school place between girls and boys in the area as there are only 96 boys places available.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Thanks so much for posting :D
We spotted something that's confused us - it mentions the test on 22 Sept 201, then goes on to say

LA Applications
Following the tests, parents will be sent the test results for their daughter and information regarding the lowest cut off score for admission in previous years. However these scores are not a final indicator of applicant admission success as they may vary from year to year.
The School will invite applicants who have achieved a test score which suggests that they may be successful in being offered a place at the school to an Information Evening in October 2013.

Are we right in thinking that this document effects those hoping to secure a place in the academic year 2013/14? Are those extra places under discussion and waiting for approval, destined for 2013/2014 entry?

What a fab idea the Information Evening is, in terms of giving a little more info on whether you may or may not have a good chance
Tick Tock!!

Post by Tick Tock!! »

What fantastic news! So many children pass the 11+ but are unable to secure a place because there aren't enough places. Let's hope the other grammar schools follow! :D
brainiac

Post by brainiac »

I completely understand the shortage of places but on purely selfish level, I really like the fact that the school has only 4 classes per year and hope that this is an error. Sorry if this offends anyone :?
bravado

Post by bravado »

brainiac wrote:I completely understand the shortage of places but on purely selfish level, I really like the fact that the school has only 4 classes per year and hope that this is an error. Sorry if this offends anyone :?
We had four classes in my grammar school in another part of the country - average of 120 girls per year throughout. It worked well and we had some very famous "old girls" :wink: We also had huge successes at both "O" and "A" Level with large numbers of girls attaining places at highly prestigious Oxbridge colleges.
Larger intakes can and do work and I don't feel that my education or opportunities suffered in any way, shape or form. I suspect a wide variety of factors play a part in whether either model for intake-size flies or flops.
Of course we aren't privy to their plans for implementing this proposal but I'm confident they'll have given it immense thought and consideration, so that the quality they're renowned for, isn't diluted. My only concern would be the expansion needed in terms of physical space, if this additional intake is continued year-on-year but I'm sure they've got that covered too. My school was significantly larger, space-wise and I felt I should mention this.
Thought I'd add another perspective to this discussion - hope no-one minds?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Oh, I wish we could find out more! There are inconsistencies in the admissions document with regard to dates so I've no idea if any change implemented would affect those going into Y6 in September 2012 or those going into Y5. Also, when is the governing body likely to make a decision? Does anyone know how often it meets?

I would welcome the move as my DD would very much like a place there and it would improve her chances in a year of uncertainty. I have no idea of the impact it would have on the school in terms of physical space but I don't think it would lead to a dilution of all that is great about the school. I suppose it would impact negatively on the number of external girls admitted to the sixth form in due course.
bellesmum

Post by bellesmum »

Does anyone know if the increase has now been approved or not?
moved

Post by moved »

I don't know if this has been approved, but I cannot see why an expansion would be an issue. It is currently an extremely small school, which has the advantage that every girl is known well, but the disadvantage of fewer staff and small departments. A larger staff can lead to a more informed staff and better opportunities for the pupils.