Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie to 11+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:09 pm 

:?: Not sure where I should begin but.....my son is in Yr5 and we are considering the 11+ for him as the local school he would get is really not suited to him and we fail to meet the criteria for the better ones. I would like to get him assessed to see if he is able enough to go down the 11+ route but where and how? Most importantly, which schools should I be aiming for. Someone suggest KEGS and S6 but this nothing to me. Sorry I have not an academic background and have no one else to seek advice from. The person who suggested KEGS is from my sons school and I am hopng to get to talk to her again. Any advice gratefully taken. Thank you

Post subject: Re: Newbie to 11+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 am 

kiddiesz wrote:
:?: Not sure where I should begin but.....my son is in Yr5 and we are considering the 11+ for him as the local school he would get is really not suited to him and we fail to meet the criteria for the better ones. I would like to get him assessed to see if he is able enough to go down the 11+ route but where and how? Most importantly, which schools should I be aiming for. Someone suggest KEGS and S6 but this nothing to me. Sorry I have not an academic background and have no one else to seek advice from. The person who suggested KEGS is from my sons school and I am hopng to get to talk to her again. Any advice gratefully taken. Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

KEGS is the King Edward VI Grammar School for boys in Chelmsford. S6 is a tutoring company. Other schools you may wish to consider (depending on your location) are Colchester Royal Grammar School for boys (CRGS), Southend High School for Boys and Westcliff High School for Boys. They are all great schools. You should have a look on their websites and visit them to help you decide if they would suit your DS. There are some other partially selective schools but I don't know much about them. If you look at the CSSE's website you'll get more info.

Some tutors will assess a DC for free while others charge in excess of £100, so it pays to shop around. If you give people an idea of where you are based, I'm sure you will get recommendations for a good tutor. Lots of parents would suggest asking your DS's Primary School if he is GS material. It's not something I would do, though, unless the teacher in question actually had some recent experience of preparing a child for the 11+ as it tests something quite different from say, SATs.

Have a good old read through the threads on this forum - you'll probably get loads of question answered that way - and some that you hadn't thought of yet!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24 am 

Whereabouts do you live? We're in Southend and the marks needed are lower to get in here than some of the others. If you're aiming for the super selectives, you will need a much higher percentage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:42 pm 

There's a variety of tutors out there - personal recommendation is a often a good thing but at the end of the day, they have to be able to tap into your son's needs etc - so shopping around is very good advice, as what suits one child, won't necessarily suit another.

I'd say start with your school but be aware that the subject of the 11+ can bring up a wide range of opinions and reactions :wink: We were told that some teachers are absolutely against selective education and that some were very supportive. We were also aware that some teachers have no experience of selective tests in general and what's required in order to prepare for and sit the exams in Essex. I'd also be aware that your child's SATS levels can be a bit of a red herring, a bit misleading when it comes to assessing whether you want to think in terms of the 11+ for your child. Our school felt that because our eldest was very competent in English, she'd have no trouble whatsoever in the Essex English exam but SATS English and Essex 11+ English have quite different requirements, so you can get some misleading advice and I gather this can be fairly common where a school has little, if any familiarity with the 11+ and more importantly, in Essex.

I'd recommend approaching the school for a variety of reasons because they may well know of other children who have had tutors and so may be able to point you in the direction of "success stories" and reliable tutors. On the other hand, they may not have any information, and may not be supportive but who knows? At this stage, I wouldn't necessarily rule out any potential source of information that could help you make an informed choice. The school could help by providing you with some general information on your son's current weak and strong points, in terms of Maths and Literacy - all pretty valuable from my experience.

At the end of the day - be confident that you know your son better than anyone else :D Use this site...and then some :D
Come back as many times as you like..but I warn you, it's addictive :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 pm 

Apologies for not posting on here again...ill health Thank you for your replies. I have had DS assessed and he will now have a tutor beginning this week and we will see how he goes. Assessment showed he was behind due to his present schooling..or lack of... but does have ability. We are late in the day but if nothing else it will help him focus and improve his current level. Shocked at the amount of work he will have to do. We have been happily coasting along Good wake up call. We are in Hornchurch by the way.

(sorry to anyone I have sent this reply as a pm in error...can't use forum properly :(