No discussion of exam until after late sitting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dazel

Re: No discussion of exam until after late sitting

Post by Dazel »

My DS said the text was from a book called The cuckoo plant and it was sci fi, after a quick google I believe it to be by Adam ford. It seems to fit. Never heard of it.
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

Dazel wrote:My DS said the text was from a book called The cuckoo plant and it was sci fi, after a quick google I believe it to be by Adam ford. It seems to fit. Never heard of it.
Thanks, the choice of English text was puzzling me. My DD has told me about fireball and meteorites etc, but I hadn't a clue which book it was from. I must admit I've never heard of it before. It's probably good if few of us recognise it, it means DC probably haven't heard of it before either, let alone read it so at least they were all on a level playing field. :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

purplegirl wrote:
Dazel wrote:It's probably good if few of us recognise it, it means DC probably haven't heard of it before either, let alone read it so at least and they were all on a level playing field. :D
Call me a negligent parent if you will, but I am slightly boggled by the idea that all the books our DC have heard of and / or read might just be a subset of the ones that DH and I have...

(There are probably dozens of the ghastly "Magic Key" readers that we have managed to avoid, for a start :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manana

Post by Manana »

DS said the maths was ok. He said there were 9 questions on the first page-all pretty straighforward and he remembered there was a 'carpet tile' question, but that was it!

He couldn't remember anything from the VR but said lots of the questions took a while to work out. The vocab ones etc needed to be read a couple of times!

He also said the English text was quite readable (unlike longitude!) but the spellings weren't very nice. He refused to tell me what any of them were though as he thought I'd tell him they were wrong and then he'd worry! The punctuation bit had the usual speech marks in and there were only a few (if any?) true or false questions. One of the questions asked for the meaning of the word 'trajectory'! Don't now tell me there was a massive section in the middle worth 56 marks containing true/false questions that he turned straight over and missed :lol:

Any other DC remember anything of note!?
ahap

Post by ahap »

There had been a section for spellings and a section for punctuation. In VR codes and antonyms and some other types she said. :roll:
Does anyone know what the last question was in Maths. I asked her whether it is about flight times and she said she does not remember.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

Checked with older DD, she must have borrowed at least half of her school library, and she hadn't heard of The cuckoo plant either. :D (must be in the other half of the library!!! :lol: )
Last edited by purplegirl on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

ahap wrote:DD said that she thinks it was about a meteorite circling the world and crashing somewhere.
Maths had about 23 questions about 2 or 3 subsections and the last one was very hard and had 3 sub questions and it was about aeroplane traveling.
I am told by DS that maths had only 15 questions :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Cuckoo-Plan ... 0749706139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sounds like the midwitch cuckoos
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Manana wrote:DS said the maths was ok. He said there were 9 questions on the first page-all pretty straighforward and he remembered there was a 'carpet tile' question, but that was it!

He couldn't remember anything from the VR but said lots of the questions took a while to work out. The vocab ones etc needed to be read a couple of times!

He also said the English text was quite readable (unlike longitude!) but the spellings weren't very nice. He refused to tell me what any of them were though as he thought I'd tell him they were wrong and then he'd worry! The punctuation bit had the usual speech marks in and there were only a few (if any?) true or false questions. One of the questions asked for the meaning of the word 'trajectory'! Don't now tell me there was a massive section in the middle worth 56 marks containing true/false questions that he turned straight over and missed :lol:

Spellings - hysterical.
Manana

Post by Manana »

seriousmum wrote:
Manana wrote:DS said the maths was ok. He said there were 9 questions on the first page-all pretty straighforward and he remembered there was a 'carpet tile' question, but that was it!

Spellings - hysterical.
Was hysterical one of them, or were they hysterical!!?

DS seems to think there were 23 or 25 maths questions and 15 English. Maybe...!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now