Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:31 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 pm
Posts: 25
Its result time now,,,,,just now received the result of my DD who has scored 47 out of 75.

School has given previous years cut off marks which i believe has nothing to do with this year's cut off so still not clear where she stands.

And if one is not sure about his DC's rank then why would he apply for the place in the school,,,,,comments please.

Anyone else got their DC's results,, kindly put light on above.

DBSUK_MOM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Essex
DBSUK_MOM wrote:
Its result time now,,,,,just now received the result of my DD who has scored 47 out of 75.

School has given previous years cut off marks which i believe has nothing to do with this year's cut off so still not clear where she stands.

And if one is not sure about his DC's rank then why would he apply for the place in the school,,,,,comments please.

Anyone else got their DC's results,, kindly put light on above.

DBSUK_MOM


What sort of test was it? Has the school changed its admissions rules this year? If not, then last year's cut-off is probably a reasonable indication. If I liked the school and was only a little under the previous year's cut-off, I would still apply.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1225
Both of mine sat this exam in the past but we never used to receive the result. It only become known if you were put onto the waiting list.

Quote:
School has given previous years cut off marks which i believe has nothing to do with this year's cut off so still not clear where she stands.


Provided the number of places available to the technology exam has not changed then the pass mark required is likely to be similar but not exactly the same as previous years. 47 / 75 is a good mark - as the last place offered 2 years ago only scored 31/75 I would think your DD stands a good chance.

Quote:
And if one is not sure about his DC's rank then why would he apply for the place in the school,,,,,comments please.


You have nothing to lose by applying anyway - unless you have 6 other schools you prefer (which in Colchester is unlikely!)

Good luck


Last edited by Minesatea on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 am
Posts: 438
Minesatea wrote:
Both of mine sat this exam in the past but we never used to receive the result. It only become known if you were put onto the waiting list.

Quote:
School has given previous years cut off marks which i believe has nothing to do with this year's cut off so still not clear where she stands.


Provided the number of places available to the technology exam has not changed then the pass mark required is likely to be similar but not exactly the same as previous years. 47 / 75 is a good mark - as the last place offered last year only scored 31/75 I would think your DD stands a good chance.

Quote:
And if one is not sure about his DC's rank then why would he apply for the place in the school,,,,,comments please.


You have nothing to lose by applying anyway - unless you have 6 other schools you prefer (which in Colchester is unlikely!)

Good luck


Minesatea - you made me laugh out loud! Rarely on a forum, regarding the 11+ and secondary school choices, have I seen someone say we what we think and know to be true. We currently have one choice and we're waaaaaaay out of catchment. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 pm
Posts: 25
First-timer wrote:
DBSUK_MOM wrote:
Its result time now,,,,,just now received the result of my DD who has scored 47 out of 75.

School has given previous years cut off marks which i believe has nothing to do with this year's cut off so still not clear where she stands.

And if one is not sure about his DC's rank then why would he apply for the place in the school,,,,,comments please.

Anyone else got their DC's results,, kindly put light on above.

DBSUK_MOM


What sort of test was it? Has the school changed its admissions rules this year? If not, then last year's cut-off is probably a reasonable indication. If I liked the school and was only a little under the previous year's cut-off, I would still apply.


Each year, in Philip Morant School 10% of total number of places ( 280 ) are filled up through the Technology Aptitude Test. This is a Non verbal type of test. I guess if child secure a position within first 28 ranks then admission is confirmed.

Though our first choice would definitely be the Grammar Schools, but in case she misses then we would be having an alternative.

Thanks for you suggestions, will definitely give it a go as second preference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 pm
Posts: 25
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions,, now i feel more comfortable,,, and keeping my fingers crossed for the 15th Oct,, still 11 days to go,,,, :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1225
Quote:
I guess if child secure a position within first 28 ranks then admission is confirmed.


Actually no - because the criteria says "up to" 10% of places - so in theory if there was a lot of catchment children one year there could be no places available under criteria 4. I'm sure that in the past there was a minimum number of technology places guaranteed but this seems to have changed.

Assuming there are 28 places available it may go a lot lower than rank 28 as many children sit the 11 plus as well as PM, so not all of the top 28 scores will have PM as their first choice and it is likely that very high scoring children in the PM exam may also have passed the 11 plus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 11
our DS got 45/75.

We need advice on this ... is Gilberd or PM which one is better? We had been to both the schools open day and both are good.. but some suggests PM is good and some says Gilberd.. so we are bit confused on which one to put for second choice? any views would be really helpful

thanks in advance..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:02 pm
Posts: 22
My DD scored 46/75, so it is looking like scores may be clustering around a similar level. I wish they could have given a ranking as well as this would obviously be a lot more useful. At the open day I did ask whether the scores seemed similar to last year, but the admissions officer said they had no idea yet, and that it could vary a lot from year to year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1225
Quote:
Gilberd or PM which one is better?


When we looked for my older two I felt that there wasn't much to choose between them academically. In the end we ordered them by ease of journey (1 bus vs 2 ). However I don't know what I will do when it comes to my youngest DS as I personally have a problem with the Gilberd's new tie! (I am aware that this shouldn't be a reason for rejecting a good school but :oops: )


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016