Chelmsford County high for girls enquiry visit

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

three

Re: Chelmsford County high for girls enquiry visit

Post by three »

I am very confused! :? After the 1st of March will Chelmsford Girls operate 2 waiting lists one for In Catcment and one for Out of Catchment girls or will there be just one list for everybody and they will offer places according to scores regardless of where the girls live? I have heard both versions and I don't know what the truth is!! Can anyone help? Thanks
moved

Post by moved »

http://cmis.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexCmis5/D ... Ff55vVA%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Initially:

The first 80% of places (96) will be allocated in rank order from the order of merit (i.e. rank by academic score) following the 11+ examination, to girls living at a permanent address within a 12.5 miles radius of the centre of Chelmsford. The centre will be measured as the crow flies from the front door of the permanent place of residence (see Clause 1.3) to post code CM1 1JE (the War Memorial situated outside the Chelmsford Borough Offices, a point central to the town of Chelmsford), using a computerised measuring system.
The next 20% of places (24) will be allocated in rank order from the order of merit (i.e. rank by academic score) to girls irrespective of distance to the School.

The geographical restrictions operate until the end of the first week of term:

This process will be operated until the end of the first week of the Autumn Term, when the order of merit waiting list will cease to apply and any further vacancies will be treated as in year vacancies (see para 2.1).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote: The next 20% of places (24) will be allocated in rank order from the order of merit (i.e. rank by academic score) to girls irrespective of distance to the School.
Sorry, this is just sheer idle curiosity as we only have DS2 remaining to take the 11+, but does this then mean that actually some or even all of the last 24 places could go to in-catchment girls, if they happened to have the higher scores (admittedly not a very likely scenario given that 96 girls have already been taken from the list)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
three

Post by three »

Thanks moved! They have made it quite hard for the out of catchment girls to get into CCHS! :shock: My guess is that the top 24 OOC girls will have pretty high scores! How about the IC girls? Is there a minimum pass mark like in the Southend Schools? Thanks
ahap

Post by ahap »

ToadMum wrote:
moved wrote: The next 20% of places (24) will be allocated in rank order from the order of merit (i.e. rank by academic score) to girls irrespective of distance to the School.
Sorry, this is just sheer idle curiosity as we only have DS2 remaining to take the 11+, but does this then mean that actually some or even all of the last 24 places could go to in-catchment girls, if they happened to have the higher scores (admittedly not a very likely scenario given that 96 girls have already been taken from the list)?
It could be but it is unlikely to happen, unless the OOC candidates scored less than the 96th candidate from IC.

What I don't understand is that what they said in the meeting contradicts their admission policy about waiting lists. Hmm...... :roll:
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
ahap

Post by ahap »

three wrote:Thanks moved! They have made it quite hard for the out of catchment girls to get into CCHS! :shock: My guess is that the top 24 OOC girls will have pretty high scores! How about the IC girls? Is there a minimum pass mark like in the Southend Schools? Thanks

There is no minimum pass mark for CCHS. 96 places - guaranteed for ICs.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
three

Post by three »

Ahap please explain contradiction. Thanks :)
ahap

Post by ahap »

Well they said there wont be a seperate list for IC and OOC for waiting lists when a parent asked about it.

But their Admission policy from 1.4 say otherwise

http://www.cchs.co.uk/ch/admissions/adm ... ons_policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did they mean the waiting list during the Autumn term? Because when another parent asked how many got in from the waiting list they said only 1 :shock: .
After a long time and discussions between themselves asked the gentleman whether he is asking about from March 1st till beginning of term and when he said yes they said about 40 or 14, I did not hear that clearly.

I hope someone who came to the meeting can clarify this more.

It was a good meeting but some of the answers would have confused the parents.
Thanks to this forum, we can clear our doubts.
mclm

Post by mclm »

Ahap / all,

It was approx 14 places last year that were offered post 1st March.
ahap

Post by ahap »

mclm wrote:Ahap / all,

It was approx 14 places last year that were offered post 1st March.
Thanks. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now