Please Please can someone help - passmark for St Bernards

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Re: Please Please can someone help - passmark for St Bernard

Post by moved »

panichead wrote:Yes skenty I totally agree with you! And at the open evening the dep head did say that would take in rank order.

I am thinking of appealing to the grammar school but to be honest the pastoral care received by DD1 hasn't exactly impressed me.

Yes, it is st h's and also TH, annoyingly both open mornings same day!!
Both of these have very small classes and their results in the league tables have been very good. A child who just misses out on a grammar place would also be in the top set, which would help with self-esteem.
panichead

Post by panichead »

Skenty, I think I know you!! - will pm you xx

And yes, I agree in hindsight having looked a st b's I think my dd1 would have felt happier, but she is doing exremely well academically at the grammar and will get the results she wants! But at what cost!
panichead

Post by panichead »

Thanks moved that certainly cheers me up. This forum has been a lifeline for me so thank you to all that have replied to the ramblings of a mad women :mrgreen:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:Both of these have very small classes and their results in the league tables have been very good. A child who just misses out on a grammar place would also be in the top set, which would help with self-esteem.
We had a family morning out at St Hilda's back in March, just after DD got her unfortunate 11+ result :shock:. Part of me was wanting her to fall in love with the school (despite the commitment to paying fees for the next 5 years) as it is an easy walk from home, rather than two buses to her allocated school, the catchment for which is not even adjacent to ours . However, although we found St H a really friendly place, the - very - small class sizes actually put DD off! I have to say that we shared her concerns that there would be very few places to hide, so to speak, should she have a falling-out with one of the other dozen or so girls in her year.

So off she traipses across town each morning to her comp, which so far has been a great success :D. It's not SHSG, but things could certainly be a lot worse.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx