Split from "other options"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
milada

Split from "other options"

Post by milada »

Last edited by milada on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Re: Other options

Post by KB »

maybe hermanmunster can decide if this should be split to a new thread?

In the meantime -

I can only repeat what friends have told me about the two school you mentioned so hopefully you will get some first hand info.
There is also Holmwood House prep school - don't have any recent info but if you have a car its 10/15 mins drive from CRGS.

As far as state schools go there are some with good reputations in the Lexden -Prettygate area.
I would call them direct and ask about places for next September in the appropriate year group.

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schoo ... sions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the LEA web site - links to applying before mid Nov for a place for next year and on applying mid-year.
Tactically you might want to investigate whether moving your child just before the end of this school year would give you priority for any available places over those applying to start in Sep 2014. I don't know the answer, its just a thought.
milada

Re: Split from "other options"

Post by milada »

Last edited by milada on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Milada,

I moved my DS mid way through year 4 and rang schools and they told how many were in the class, though could not tell me how many spaces they had as there could have been other applications in with LA at the same time. It seems in my part of mid-Essex that movement in the state sector can happen quickly so a place maybe available before you move house but can be filled (by someone else) whilst you are in the sometimes tortuous process that moving house can be...

Not sure that is much help!!!!

djy
milada

Post by milada »

Last edited by milada on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If you are prepared to go out of Colchester then Littlegarth at Nayland has a good reputation.
One thing to think about would be your likely long term plan for DS2, eg are you looking to move again at age 11. Colchester High goes to 16 ( soon to be 18 I believe), Holmwood house to 13, and Oxford house and Littlegarth to 11.
milada

Post by milada »

Last edited by milada on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Possibly West Bergholt? Nice village, good state primary, good buses to CRGS and on the pick up route of the Ipswich school's Colchester route 2 bus.
KB

Post by KB »

milada - have sent you a PM
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

hi

There are lots of good state schools here too. Many may not have spaces though. Good ones are Hamilton Primary and Homefarm, Prettygate has very good pastoral care, but SATs results not as high as the other 2.

Both my children went to Hamilton and did very well there. Usually a waiting list though. My daughter has 3 girl's from Homefarm in her class at the grammar school.

Quite a lot of people send their children to Oxford House too which is a private school. I think their main focus is to get the children through the 11 plus, which they are very successful at. The work load is very heavy there.

Parking is very difficult for Oxford house and Colchester high, you might want to have a look first!