Travel from Brentwood/Shenfield to Westcliff train or bus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jojo1

Travel from Brentwood/Shenfield to Westcliff train or bus?

Post by jojo1 »

If my ds gets a place at Westcliff what is the quickest and most direct route including walk from train/bus station to school from Brentwood or Shenfield? My parents live in Upminster so he may stay there 1 night a week( as only 30 minutes on train) and we may be able to take him to Upminster station if necessary on the other days.
Any feedback would be great.
I still have a splitting headache I'm sure it's the stress of finding out the result so late!!
ToadMum

Re: Travel from Brentwood/Shenfield to Westcliff train or bu

Post by ToadMum »

A lot of WHSB / WHSG / Tommy More's pupils use C2C to Chalkwell and walk on to school - NB it is a fairly stiff uphill walk from the station up to Leigh Rd but then more level! - probably about 25 minutes' walk. Alternatively you can get off at Leigh on Sea (preceding station) and catch a no.21 bus (First).

Coming in on the Southend Victoria line as far as I can see the easiest way would be to take the train to the end of the line and get a bus going back the other way from the interchange outside the station; no 21 / no 29 (Arriva) both stop in front of the Westcliff schools. Both run every 20 minutes, I think, but you would have to get the timing right. I think someone has mentioned elswhere that there is a train arriving at about 07.55 at Southend Vic.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
event1

Post by event1 »

My DD attend WHSG, she gets off at chalkwell station and walk with other girls to school average of 18 minutes, worried initially about the walk but all the way she was fine about it and she is still 7 weeks into school. So don't under estimate these children they will survive and excel in their studies God willing.
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

Thanks for your replies, would you say more dc get the trainfrom Brentwood/Shenfield rather than bus? So many questions to think about before applying to schools!
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

There is a consortium bus from Shenfield station going to Westcliff and also a contract bus run by SBC Leisure. Convenient as they stop directly outside the school
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

Thanks for that mum of boys I have just been looking at the same web site(SBC Leisure). Much better start time than the first bus in Shenfield at 7.05 that I saw earlier. Will ring for a quote tomorrow.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ToadMum wrote:A lot of WHSB / WHSG / Tommy More's pupils use C2C to Chalkwell and walk on to school - NB it is a fairly stiff uphill walk from the station up to Leigh Rd but then more level! - probably about 25 minutes' walk. Alternatively you can get off at Leigh on Sea (preceding station) and catch a no.21 bus (First)
Actually, scrap LOS option, the walk up to the 21 is worse than the walk up from Chalkwell :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mzm

Post by mzm »

Hi,
I am a confused dad looking for some information/advice about WHSG. We live in Newbury Park in Redbridge and exploring possibilities whether we can send our daughter to WHSG. She hasn't done that well, so probably will miss out on Chelmsford. WHSG is very far from where we live, someone told me that there is a school bus that takes children to WHSG and takes about 1h 15mins. Before making any choice, we want to be sure whether this is a viable option. Otherwise we will have to be happy with whatever local comprensive school she gets. Do any of your kids go to WHSG from Redbridge/Barking/Romford area? Can you share some experience here?
Thanks