WHSG meeting info

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piemom

Re: WHSG meeting info

Post by piemom »

event1 wrote:Addition from the visit.
302 is not a pass so don't put grammar school on the list.
Every girl with a score of 303 in catchment will be accommodated in Southend school.
A score of 309 was assigned a place in the past
600 student took 11+ exam in priority area
311 was the lowest score that got a place last year
Waiting list is for ooc as all ic girls will get a place i.e no 2 different waiting list.
Dr Hayman personally re- marked 35 papers for student with borderline scores
10% of all 11+ papers remarked for clarity
No significant change in pass rate from the change to priority areas. 30 extra

13, not 30

169 girls have gained the score in priority area this year

99 DD ooc were admitted last year to WHSG
Sorry for any repeated info.
event1

Post by event1 »

I thought I heard 30 and would like a second opinion from other parents present as I was writing relevant info down. Either 30 or13 is good news for ooc parents.
Let me add this no priority given to girls with siblings already in school according to the headteacher
piemom

Post by piemom »

He said there would be 6 more places given in catchment, assuming a 50/50 split between the 2 schools. If it was 30, he would have said 15 extra places.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

kaynor wrote:Well done all.....very usefull information.
As with the boys (170), 169 girls achieved 303 or more IC. The interesting part is that it is not significantly more this year, a few of the extra 13 would of made it even if still OoC catchment anyway.
If the split is 50/50 it means about 69 OoC WHSG & 65 OoC SHSG, still a fair few.
Actually the OoC places quoted above are likely to be greater as some of the 169 girls will go to the other schools in Southend that take a grammar stream.
Just looking

Post by Just looking »

Definitely 13 not 30.
moved

Post by moved »

I also know of some that are hoping for OOC places in Chelmsford schools.
piemom

Post by piemom »

I've been thinking about this extra 13 places some more (the things you think about when you can't sleep!) and I've come to the conclusion that what Dr Hayman actually said was that 13 girls, who would have been ooc last year, but were ic this year, passed.

Last year, according to the Southend admissions booklet, WHSG admitted 55 girls ic and SHSG, 74, 129 in total. We don't know how many passed; I assume it was more than this.

We know that this year 169 passed and 156 of them were in the "old" catchment.

What does this tell us? I suspect not very much of use! :?
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

event1 wrote:I thought I heard 30 and would like a second opinion from other parents present as I was writing relevant info down. Either 30 or13 is good news for ooc parents.
Let me add this no priority given to girls with siblings already in school according to the headteacher
In some school, the siblings priority option is only valid when there is a tie for the last available place(ie. both DCs got the exactly same standardised score). At CCHS, if this rare situation occured, the first priority is to give the place to

1) looked after child
then
2) Siblings
then
3) The child who lives closer to the school (the direct straight line distance between the school and the front door of their house. :)
Last edited by tabasco on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worri3d_mum

Post by worri3d_mum »

It said this was how the list was managed for Southend and Westcliff too, in the event that 2 DC score the same for one place...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now