Chelmsford County High changing admissions tests for 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stocky

Re: Chelmsford County High changing admissions tests for 201

Post by Stocky »

I am in Lincs and have a friend who's DD has started this year at WHSG, so often look on the Essex forum. I agree, no other test does age standardisation, but all other tests allow a resit. In the last year I have been through the 11 plus with an October DC and a July DC (only one school year between them). My July DC who sat the test in September has thankfully flown through, but sat the test virtually a year earlier in age than DC1 and boy could I tell. He is progressing at an unbelieveable rate too, so my biggest worry was he would fail but then storm year 6 as he matured. We also use NVR and I think its fantastic, as unlike maths/english it can only be coached to a certain level. Good luck to all your DC's.
moved

Post by moved »

I think it will be really interesting to see what happens with most of the girls who enter taking both tests. Sorry, for my academic delight. I realise that this will place even more stress on parents and their daughters.

Mathematical reasoning can be tutored for as can VR and NVR, so I'm skeptical about the 'cannot tutor for it' line. If a test is a reliable indicator then it can be tutored.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

moved wrote:I think it will be really interesting to see what happens with most of the girls who enter taking both tests. Sorry, for my academic delight. I realise that this will place even more stress on parents and their daughters.
Yes that will be me :roll: it suddenly dawned on dd that she would be sitting two lots of exams , she then became rather pleased when we put it to her that in effect she would get two chances and that if she had an off day or was ill she would at least have the other exam. No I know that is not really the point but it cheered her up :)
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
moved

Post by moved »

Good, glad that is how she feels. A good spin on things; she'll go far!
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

moved wrote:I think it will be really interesting to see what happens with most of the girls who enter taking both tests. Sorry, for my academic delight. I realise that this will place even more stress on parents and their daughters.

Mathematical reasoning can be tutored for as can VR and NVR, so I'm skeptical about the 'cannot tutor for it' line. If a test is a reliable indicator then it can be tutored.
Agree moved, they will now be tutored for both exams, it will not revolutionise anything. Another lets reinvent the wheel moment. We just need state primary schools to promote the existing 11+ as an option.

As a % of marks will now be allocated to NVR will that not result in less marks for english for example? I thought the grammars are concerned about the standard of english? Can the existing tests not be tweaked to make them more applied/practical if needs be?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

If it's anything like we have here in Warwickshire it's 1/3 NVR, 1/3 numerical reasoning (aka maths) and 1/3 verbal reasoning (which ISN'T verbal reasoning - it's English).
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

I got the impression from the website and letter that we are getting 2 papers one which will be maths and non verbal and one which will be English and verbal r. Is that similar to your area Okanagan?

Albert Einstein
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

"The tests are specifically designed to be reliable and valid testing instruments, appropriate for assessing children at the beginning of the Autumn term in Year 6 of the English school system. The results are age weighted by CEM and will be communicated to parents prior to application for a place at the School. No practice papers are available other than a familiarisation paper which will be available to parents on application to sit the tests. The tests are designed using a range of paradigms to measure verbal, non-verbal and mathematical reasoning skills. They are administered in two 45minute papers."

The Shropshire, Walsall and Wolverhampton sample links that Okanagan kindly posted earlier refers to two papers each less than an hour, so sounds similar in duration.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Araucana girl wrote:I got the impression from the website and letter that we are getting 2 papers one which will be maths and non verbal and one which will be English and verbal r. Is that similar to your area Okanagan?
No it's two papers, in 45 minute sessions, but each with a mix of questions from each of the three areas - and they're timed sections so you can only go back and check within the section you are on, and can't go on to the next section until told. So in a way it's really about 6 short papers. The scores are standardised seperately for each subject area and then aggregated for a total, with each of the three areas having equal weighting although the number of questions, and the time allowed, won't be the same for all of them.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

In a funny way I think that will be better for my dd as she tends to skip the sections she does not like at the moment and do the ones she does! When I make her do the ones she doesn't like she can do them but just doesn't want to ......aaaaagh!

Albert Einstein