Test centres

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: Test centres

Post by Minesatea »

We all have a finite amount of time to prepare for the 11 plus. Living in Colchester we can either spend all that time preparing for the CSSE exam and aim for one of the 112 places available at Colchester or we split the preparation time between the CSSE and the CEM exams. There is however only 24 places available for out of catchment children, so the standard is going to be extremely high to get one of these places.The question is, is it better to put all your eggs in one basket and concentrate the preparation on one exam only or do you double up to get the extra chance even though the odds of success in the second exam are slight and this will lessen the preparation time available for the first choice exam? :?
Last edited by Minesatea on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Can anyone tell me how many exam sittings there were at CRGS this year and at what times they started ? I am trying to visualise what DS1 will be going through and need to understand how they run the tests and at what times. Many thanks.
toolate

Post by toolate »

There were two - I don't remember the exact times but I think it was something like 8.30 and 1.30. All very well handled by CRGS but kind of scary - releasing your child into the crowd of children...
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

.. another wrinkle or two.. and many more grey hairs to come ! :?
bravado

Post by bravado »

Minesatea wrote:We all have a finite amount of time to prepare for the 11 plus. Living in Colchester we can either spend all that time preparing for the CSSE exam and aim for one of the 112 places available at Colchester or we split the preparation time between the CSSE and the CEM exams. There is however only 24 places available for out of catchment children, so the standard is going to be extremely high to get one of these places.The question is, is it better to put all your eggs in one basket and concentrate the preparation on one exam only or do you double up to get the extra chance even though the odds of success in the second exam are slight and this will lessen the preparation time available for the first choice exam? :?
We had a chat about this when it was first announced, even though we no longer have any DC's to prepare for the 11+. For us, it would come down to several issues. Basically, if we lived in Colchester and desperately wanted DD2 to get into ChCHS but would be happy with CoCHS as the fall-back, then we'd probably split the tutoring between CEM and CSSE, with more time being spent on bringing DD's general education in English, Maths and vocab up to speed for the CEM test . However, if we were aiming for CoCHS, we'd only do CSSE. Our decision would have been to plump for Colchester.
Not sure if that's helped you :?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Prepare for both if ChCHS is also a choice. Organise & Prepare. It will help for both in some way. Some areas like the London Boroughs do this for out of catchment places & Super selectives.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
KB

Post by KB »

mikedellfarm wrote:Can anyone tell me how many exam sittings there were at CRGS this year and at what times they started ? I am trying to visualise what DS1 will be going through and need to understand how they run the tests and at what times. Many thanks.
At CRGS they will have 6th formers to take the boys from you - generally they will have a drive in/out facility so you dont stop with your child.
The boys collect in a waiting hall and are then taken to where they sit the exam.
Threre is a break part way through the three papers when they can go to the loo.

Details of this summer's open evening for year 6 is up on the school web site now.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thank you KB, valuable advice. We are off to the Open Evening on 9 July, we have already been to two events at the school but it all help.s
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now