CEM approach anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Araucana girl

CEM approach anyone?

Post by Araucana girl »

How are prospective CCHS hopefuls approaching the CEM exam? My daughter has been given a new year's resolution, I am a horrible parent, 5-10 minutes Freerice English every night to get the vocab going :wink:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
moved

Re: CEM approach anyone?

Post by moved »

Get her to read voraciously. Good quality books, listen in the car or at bedtime to quality stories.
Start on NVR, if you haven't already. NVR isn't too bad once you get going. Play with nets of cubes with different shapes on the faces. It's a good way in and fun with all the cutting up.
Maths problems and puzzles, trick questions, etc. have a look at the junior maths challenge and choose some of the problems from the beginning. Go onto the nrich website.
Old fashioned, fill the gaps for English.

Good luck!
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Thanks Moved. I will definitely take a look at all those things. She has a tutor for the normal Essex 11+ so will be fitting round that. Luckily she is a great reader and I will be reading with her most nights as well. The NVR will be fun as she hasn't seen much before although she is pretty good on logical puzzles in the written sense so hopefully will be with shape puzzles as well!

Albert Einstein
moved

Post by moved »

Link to the sticky in the Birmingham section

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=30114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to the Bucks sticky

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to the CCHS thread with some useful info

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=29554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I no longer tutor, but have had a reasonable look at these tests. Could those of you with knowledge add to this sticky, please?
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

moved wrote:Get her to read voraciously. Good quality books, listen in the car or at bedtime to quality stories.
Start on NVR, if you haven't already. NVR isn't too bad once you get going. Play with nets of cubes with different shapes on the faces. It's a good way in and fun with all the cutting up.
Maths problems and puzzles, trick questions, etc. have a look at the junior maths challenge and choose some of the problems from the beginning. Go onto the nrich website.
Old fashioned, fill the gaps for English.

Good luck!
Just realised with the maths junior challenge you probably didn't mean the whole paper, just did it myself for 2012 paper and the last page was horrendous :D

Albert Einstein
moved

Post by moved »

Absolutely not! The first section though does have some useful questions. I wouldn't chose those that are curriculum heavy though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now