2014 Entry anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Re: 2014 Entry anyone?

Post by moved »

Both of mine continued with squad swimming, music lessons and other activities.

The only thing they stopped was rugby in the few weeks before the exam and I didn't let them do the 5.30am swimming daily in the two weeks before the exam. They still swam on Saturdays and Sundays.

It helps to maintain some other activities so that they don't become too stressed.
bravado

Post by bravado »

I totally echo what moved has said. We didn't stop any activities at all - afterall, it would have made DD2 very sad to have given up the things she loves most and who wants a sad and de-motivated child who feels they're being deprived of their hobbies? It was often hard balancing it all but she needed to carry on. We figured that if she was made to cut out all her favourite activities and still didn't pass, then that may well have left her with feelings of resentment...it wasn't a chance we were prepared to take. However, we all make our decisions based on what we feel to be right and I respect everyone's reasoning.

Don't stress too much - there's still plenty of time left :D
moved

Post by moved »

They also have to be able to maintain studies and have a life that is broader than academia once at grammar.

So many of DD's friends play one or two instruments, play club/county level sport, go to guides/rangers, etc. all of this on top of 12 GCSEs!

I think the extra activities allow them to deal with the academic pressures.
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi everyone,
My daughter will be sitting test in September, hoping for
Shsg :D
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Morgan0210 wrote:Hi everyone,
My daughter will be sitting test in September, hoping for
Shsg :D
Welcome to the 2014 Club :D
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
akha

Post by akha »

DS1 is going for it. Scaaaary....
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

We do maintain most things but, out of DS's choice, we paused swimming. DS has his harp exams, rugby at weekends and also has seperate art lessons... combined with a big school commute and lots of school sports after hours. The swimming was more a case of total exhaustion ! We are DIY'ing, so we just have to try our best.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

My dd has maintained most of her clubs and activities, in fact she started playing basketball at the start of this academic year but we have stopped Guides only because it would have meant a very late night one night of the week and also it would have meant changing her tutor so we agreed that she would start Guides after the 11+.

I have however said that there will be no dancing exams until after the 11+ and there will be no singing exams until after the 11+. She will also not be singing in the choir for the yeend of year play in July, it's too many performances and rehearsals.

I didn't want to stop too many of her activities as she loves them and I think they provide a much needed breather from school work and 11+ work.
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

My dd1 is doing the 11+ for 2014 entry bit complicated because she's just been moved into yr5 a year early and so will be taking the test a year early too! :? Hoping for Colchester because I dont think we can sort transport for Chelmsford as bus leaves at 7.15 and gets back at 5 and we'll have to drive her 15/20 mins to get to the bus stop (we are in catchment through). :(

Feeling nervous as we are only just thinking about all this! Have had to slow down on a few hours of clubs although I agree that she'll need to find the balance if she gets into grammar but she was doing 10 hours of gymnastics, 2 swimming, 1 athletics and 1 of piano - sothought we needed to calm things down for a while as she's also got to get her head round being in the yr above as well. :D
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

will be taking the test a year early too!
That's brave! The eleven plus is tough psychologically if you are the right age. Have all the schools you are intending to apply to agreed to the early entry?
- from admission policy:
The School does not encourage early entry other than in exceptional circumstances. The decision to allow a pupil to take the Entrance Test early will be at the School’s discretion.
Just curious as a friend of mine has just done the opposite and put their DC back into the correct year group as they were told he shouldn't attempt the exam early.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now