How many kids from state schools got a place at

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fraff

Re: How many kids from state schools got a place at

Post by fraff »

From our DS's dual form state primary in Colchester, 3 boys got into CRGS and 1 girl to ColCHS, though I think there are a few hopeful of places through the waiting list. The school head did some extra prep with the kids before the exam, mainly on the VR paper. I heard that about half the 60 children in the year were trying the 11+ and that pretty much all of them were being tutored outside school, whether groups or one-to-one.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Plus I think there is an indie just outside Colchester that normally prides itself on several places (4-5) at CRGS and I think only one boy made it this year. Not sure about the girls at that school.
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

costagirl wrote:Golly, you have restored my faith. Congratulations to all those children. I'm so pleased that so many from state primaries have been offered places. I just don't know what happened in the case of our v bright kids this year - 10 of them sailing through Level 6 Maths and Literacy at the moment, those that did 11+ had a year of tutoring outside school, but not one of them scored high enough for Colchester or Chelmsford. Our school does not do any 11+ preparation at all - I'm wondering how many of your primaries do?

Am v pleased for all those from the state system that got in - and thank you for telling me. Sad that none of ours did. :(
DD primary gears itself to SAT tests, and not for the 11 plus.
I had problems getting a good tutor, and ended up partly DIY, partly tutor; but it must have worked as she has a place at ChCHS.
thepackhorse

Post by thepackhorse »

costagirl wrote:Golly, you have restored my faith. Congratulations to all those children. I'm so pleased that so many from state primaries have been offered places. I just don't know what happened in the case of our v bright kids this year - 10 of them sailing through Level 6 Maths and Literacy at the moment, those that did 11+ had a year of tutoring outside school, but not one of them scored high enough for Colchester or Chelmsford. Our school does not do any 11+ preparation at all - I'm wondering how many of your primaries do?

Am v pleased for all those from the state system that got in - and thank you for telling me. Sad that none of ours did. :(
Our DD got in to ColCHS but she was the only one from the state primary that she attends that got offered a GS place on Friday (8 sat the 11+). Our school doesn't do anything to encourage or support passing the 11+.
thepackhorse

Post by thepackhorse »

laluna wrote:Morning

5 children from my daughter's small state primary school class in Colchester secured places yesterday at the two local grammars (1 boy, 4 girls).
That's very impressive - good stuff!
wendy68

Post by wendy68 »

My DS from state school but was prep till year 3 and was tutored for a year he has secured a place at CRGS with a score of 360.
No other boys or girls from his school, but it is a very small village school
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

My friends DD got Chelmsford (out of catchment) with a score of 368 and change. Our state primary is 3 classes of 30 in each year group. Some classes, like my DD's, have 31 :roll:

Absolutely no support for the 11+ but they are hot on SATS :twisted:
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

DD offered place at CoCHS. Only student from her State school to gain a place this year. No tutoring in or out of school.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

inmystride - well done, a refreshing thing to hear !
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Comp and proud. Two boys and one girl offered a place this year..

No support for the 11p at DS' school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now