How do compare percentage score to actual score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Good3boys

How do compare percentage score to actual score

Post by Good3boys »

Hi All, I am getting really confused (maths is not my strongpoint) it trying to convert my sons recent mock sores to real scores. He recently got the following:
VR 76/85
English 29/40
Maths 31/40

What does this equate too?

Toying with the consideration of KEGS as in catchment.

Any help appreciated as very, very confused!!

Thanks
Minesatea

Re: How do compare percentage score to actual score

Post by Minesatea »

The exact mathematics for converting raw scores into standardised scores changes every year, as the standardisation process allows for variations in difficulty of the different papers and the cohort that sat the papers.
There is a sticky at the top of this forum, essex and standardisation, that contains the maths for converting the october 2012 papers, but you can't apply this to any other papers.
No essex VR real papers are available either. They are always maked out of 80 so I guess your sons mock was a different make.
So basicly no I don't think you can convert these scores, you just need to concentrate on getting his percentages as high as possible. Another thread somewhere suggests about 75% for chelmsford but I am not sure if this is in or out of catchment.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

This year 70% got a place at KEGS and 68% got a place at CCHS. DS got 69.75% :(
bravado

Post by bravado »

Minesatea wrote: So basically no I don't think you can convert these scores, you just need to concentrate on getting his percentages as high as possible.
I'd totally agree with this, as scores can go up and down all over the place at this stage. Some times DD2 would get a stonking score and then to keep us on our toes and on the Rescue Remedy, she'd bomb :roll:

BTW Minesatea, I seem to recall that one of the GL Papers is out of 85 and not 80 - I can't go and check atm so praps someone else can confirm this

Go for it anyway, what have you got to lose?
ahap

Post by ahap »

bravado wrote: BTW Minesatea, I seem to recall that one of the GL Papers is out of 85 and not 80 - I can't go and check atm so praps someone else can confirm this
Yes, the first 4 by GL were out of 85.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes sorry that post was a little muddled. I meant to say that the real exam VR has been out of 80 for as long as I have had children involved. I never used any GL practice papers apart from the one provided by the CSSE, so have no experience there.
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

Thanks for all the replies. Still no clearer but will keep ds1 happy in the knowledge he is doing well :)
aang

Post by aang »

The actual VR papers are not released but 76 out of 85 is a good score. It is common for actual scores on the day to be 10% lower due to tiredness, harder exam, environment, etc...

If your English or Maths paper were the actual papers for 2012 or 2013 entry, then it is possible to compare that to the actual results for those years as the mean and standard deviation figures have been released by CSSE. Note that the English paper has been out of 50 for at least the past five years...

FYI:
Mean score for English 18.7214 with standard deviation 7.1129
Mean score for Maths 21.8372 with standard deviation 7.0647

Mean score for English 23.0244 with standard deviation 6.91
Mean score for Maths 21.6328 with standard deviation 8.14

Standardised score = (((raw score - mean) / standard deviation) x 15) + 100
Total score = 1.5 standardised Verbal Reasoning + 0.75 standardised Mathematics + 0.75 standardised English.

So you can calculate the standardised score for English and Maths which makes up 50% of the final score. The verbal reasoning paper is easier so the scores get bunched up more - a perfect score of 80/80 in 2013 would have resulted in a standardised score of 129.87, so you can play with some numbers to estimate a standardised score for VR to obtain an overall total score.

My two cents is to save the 2012 and 2013 to closer to the exam so that you can get an accurate of your child's level..