What are the main topics found in csse papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cetaylormade

What are the main topics found in csse papers?

Post by cetaylormade »

Hi there

My daughter is doing the papers in 2014 and generally is doing well but I have told her main weekness is that she has holes in her maths knowledge but no-one seems to be forthcoming with what holes these are. :?
Was just wondering if anyone knew of a list of toics that generally come up in the papers so that I can go through with her and see which areas she needs help with?
Morgan0210

Re: What are the main topics found in csse papers?

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi,
You can download maths papers from csse website which will show you what is expected!
At my dd state school the headteacher said the maths us usually level 5 maths hth
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

Hi Morgan

Thank you- I've got the 2007/2009/2011/2012/2013 past papers and my dd has just been assessed at 5a after taking 4 exam papaers but the school has said they will still say shes at a 5c because she hasn't covered all the topics yet?! Just panicking I think as she did a mock test and only got 36% on the maths :shock: :( - hoping it was a blip as she usually gets about 80-85%!!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice/maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This should give you an idea of what to run through with your daughter. I understood the Maths to be a high 5 to level 6. I find the advice on this forum invaluable - Patricia has also previously posted a great list for DIY'ers to work towards.

Oddly we found running through past papers, or clone papers, to be the best way to identify gaps. We did a previous CSSE paper with DS and he found a problem with calculating areas and also using timetables (as in for buses and trains). So we now know we need to work on that further.

With the timeline to the exam in September 2013, it would seem that reviewing all progress is now vital and practising question types further where there are holes. (I am using the wonderful GL Assessment timetable schedule for preparation, I haven't just made it up !) :D I am also taking the advice on this forum that really we shouldn't been pushing them on speed until May - its just best for them to do the papers at their own speed, and then you can easily identify the gaps in their knowledge.
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

Thanks for the advice mikedellfarm and that link is exactly what I was after :D - forgive though what is the GL Assessment timetable schedule :? probably being really clueless here - sorry :lol:
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

It is a timetable in the GL Assesment "how to do 11+", at the back it has sample timetables for preparing in 6 months or 3 months and so on. Pm me if you get stuck! Emma
ahap

Post by ahap »

Doing these books will also help.
Bond Maths 10-11
Bond Maths 11-12
Schofield & Sims book 5

DD did 10-11 and went on to do past papers.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now