Essex English this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Essex English this year

Post by Guest »

Having had children sit the 11+ before, it has become a habit of mine to go out and buy the book from which the comprehension was taken so that we can have a read of the said book together (although sometimes I have trouble understanding them myself!).

However, this year by daughter has informed me that her comprehension was from a book called "The Snow Geese". I promptly went out and bought the book but although an excellent read, it is not apparently the right "Snow Geese". Does anybody know who the author of this year's chosen book was. I could phone the consortium to ask but I thought I may as well try this method.

The Snow Geese

Post by Guest »

The Snow Geese by William Fiennes?
Synopsis:
Snow geese spend their summers in the Canadian Arctic, on the tundra. Each autumn they migrate south, to Delaware, California and the Gulf of Mexico. In the spring they fly north again. William Fiennes decided to go with them and to write about his travels. What he produced turned out to be about very much more than geese. A blend of autobiography and reportage, its subject was also homecoming: the birds on their long journey's home, the grace of homecomings, the strange gravity that home exerts. The arc of Fiennes' physical adventure formed the backbone for meditations on philosophy, natural science and personal memoir. The book contains ideas, with stories and anecdotes, with humankind as well as wild fowl, with funny and observant insights.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the reply. It may well be that book.
I will buy it anyway. Always good to have a new "read" for the study bookshelf and it should interesting.

I'll let you know if it is the right one.

Post by Guest »

Yes, it is the right book, many thanks.