2015 Entry anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
push-pull-mum

Re: 2015 Entry anyone?

Post by push-pull-mum »

Minesatea wrote:Have you tried the Schofield and sims books?

http://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/key-stage-2-literacy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to their comprehension range.
Ooh - thanks. I've mostly been Bond booking on Conprehension and they are NOTHING like the vile Corelli DD suffered in 2010!
Should I start him on book 3? Sample looks about right for now.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

the vile Corelli DD suffered in 2010!
Yes one of mine had that too - horrendous.

I have just bought book 1 for a reluctant year 3 writer. I would think start where you think he can confidently manage and then work up as far as you can by exam time.
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hiya,
Bond comprehensions are good and gives a good practice but I am more focused on easy scoring questions,SPAG(SPELLING,PUNCTUATION AND GRAMMER),simply because comprehension is very subjective,and not something my dear son is keen at.....
pg
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hi,
Anyone thinking on a mock test.this year?
suggestions please....
pg
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

Hi PG, this thread is for 2015 entry ie current year 4.
I assume you're asking for mock tests for this year's 11 plus. Or are any of the year 4s doing mock this year? I know my son is nowhere near ready for a mock test this year.
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hiya,
I meant for year 4,sitting next year,my son is also far from it,but may be an idea for them to understand what envt.are they preparing for...
pg
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

Ok. Well, lets see if one of the 11+ gurus will comment on it. I'm not sure I'd want him to do the mock this year though, just so it doesn't shake his confidence and create a fear of it.

Do you know of anyone else that has done a mock test this early?
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hi Zoe
Ofcourse,i was thinking about confidence shaking,but since I have been doing timed tests with DS I think **** be fine.
yes I know few kids,but they ate not from essex...
cheers
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

I haven't really done any times tests with ds yet. Maybe I'd try to time him and see how he goes with it.

Again, I'm so clueless about these things, I don't really know what to do and when. So I'm hoping this thread will attract lots of valuable contributions.

Thanks
campergirl

Post by campergirl »

Hi

I have a ds1 who is in yr4 now and we've been giving him bond books for a couple of years. Mainly age appropriate vr which he treats like puzzle books.

I have just been through it with dd who didn't quite get a high enough score for ooc for whsg or shsg due to a vr flop (getting over 95% in mocks but got 58% on the day). When we started the diy route with her at the end of year 4 we bought bond books for both ds (other ds in yr 2) to familiarise them with the type of questions.

DD is about to get level 5s in sats and her brothers are following the same pattern (level 3 at year 2) so we plan to give them all a chance at the 11+.

Thankfully dd got into a really good comp which she had to sit a test for an ooc place and got one of the 28 on offer.

I feel so much more relaxed this time because i know the boys can take a sibling place at the comp.

The first point is to take ds 1 to the open days/eves in June and July this year and get his thoughts. Ds1 is a different charachter to dd so if he decides he does not want to do the exam it will become a battleground, whereas dd could be coaxed through praise.

Roll on July so i know what we'll be doing. We are lucky that our primary run an 11+ group from Jan so i won't be doing it completely on my own.

Good luck all those doing it for the first time, i won't lie, it is quite stressful but the key is to keep at it. Now we've seen how the catchment changes have changed the scores needed it should make it easier to set your goals.

Sorry for the long post, got carried away :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now